My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Sunday, January 08, 2012

Not Watching The Clock...

As all carers do, even the most caring are restricted by time. Most companies do not allow them time to get from one place to another even if its across town. So you are playing catch up all the time and few companies these days give anything towards the mileage.

Well, earlier this afternoon whilst Mum relaxed and listened to one of her favourite music programmes on the radio I gave her a blanket bath, it was not rushed and I suspect unlike the carer I removed any soap that remained(I used two sponges, one for the wash and one for the rinse)and two dishes of water. Then creamed Mum's skin to keep it soft. It did not take that long and Mum said it was better than what our carer does. And that's not being critical of the carer. I'm not sure that the soap gets removed normally.

Update:Mum has just said that her body feels the best it has ever felt after a blanket bath and every part of her feels lovely I can ask for no better compliment than that. Having the carer in, I've tended to accept that task has been done so to use the phrase all those in charge tell me. Let the carers in and let them do what they are there for and you enjoy the extra time you get to yourself.

Well, I don't really get any extra time as I have to get things ready for their visit and more and more I'd say my care supersedes anything we get so far. I accept in time that will change. I guess someone calling regular will spot such a time but isn't that why the District Nurse calls? The Social Worker would be known more by her absence but you know what, I prefer it that way.

Another thing, they worry about keeping Mum clean and about infections, well if Mum's care is so poor, how come no infections were found after they did all the tests on Mum at the hospital?

Remember the talk about dirty finger nails...Mum said herself sometimes if you scratch yourself and have cream on your body you get residue in your nails as you could if you scratch your head. Even our carer said that(so have other Nurses who work for the service)Why do they think the worst? BTW Mum's hands are lovely and clean and well cared for.

The Social Worker would probably find an excuse to complain and those in charge including the District Nurse that caused the recent upset too. I wonder if they would any good at actually doing the work that the carer and myself do?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've experienced the same. Sometimes if you're not rinsed properly, you feel as though you'd prefer not to have had one in the first place.

I've also experienced the dirty fingernails from cream. I'm cleaning mine all the time!

Glad it's a good day for you both!

Jan

8 January 2012 at 19:25  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

We're posting at the same time :-) Well, I was editing my post...

Its been good...

What about all the things you can pick up all the time and cannot be seen from touching perhaps a door handle or a piece of furniture?

It could get totally out of hand if you had to keep on top of it all the time.

Commonsense in the end is the best policy.

8 January 2012 at 19:33  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Keeping an eye on Mum's diet she's had fruit juice, tea, water, Complan, Poched egg on wholemeal toast and a vegetable soup. So even if that's a light diet at least it is something and its all good stuff.

8 January 2012 at 21:29  
Blogger Paul said...

Looks like you are doing all you can Gildy and doing it very well. I agree about the nails/cream I have psoriasis on and off and once you've applied the cream you only have to scratch your head and you can get dirty nails.

9 January 2012 at 10:22  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Thanks Paul,
This has been well and truely over played seemingly by one person but in doing so caused stress and un-necessary beaurocacy(Sp?)and I know I have said somewhere that others in her owndepartment that work with her have basically said "They don't get it!" but as she seems to be in a higher position and it has been raised it has to be dealt with.

This aspect of care is better here than when she was in hospital.

Mum did not need changing much in hospital but when I requested a change(I supplied our own pants btw)I asked at 1pm, for various reasons including one nurse saying she needed another to help(I do it myself, so does the carer)and she couldn't find anyone. Another(higher up the chain said she'd arrange for it to be done)She never did.

When the time came that they were going to do something about it they decided they'd forgotten to x ray her for two hours so it was delayed again.

Then when she returned from the x-ray, it was delayed again as she was moved onto a ward. Then she was changed so that's approx 4 hours since I asked.

Think that's worse than worrying about a slightly dirty hand.

In fact she's been easier to look after and brighter in some aspects again since coming home again.

Though today she seems to be in quite a bit of pain with the tumour so maybe the Oncologist will suggest some better pain relief on Wednesday, I have managed to arrange another appointment and of course I am a bit apprehensive how that will go.

9 January 2012 at 13:27  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

We have arranged for the carers to start again on Thursday unless something unexpected happens.

By then we've had a break again of 8 days and we've managed perfectly well without them.

I only asked for them again because the District Nurse and Social Worker may raise concerns if they find out and I suppose that they will even I don't say anything.

9 January 2012 at 13:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home