My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Friday, July 15, 2011

I Must Stop My Rant For Now...

for my health and sanity.

You can probably see that the border is no longer clearly defined and has encroached into the lawn area. What is there looks like rubble...

 

The fence is up but done at speed so lots of mistakes...three quarters of it not treated with preservation(they were going to paint the planks before they were fastened onto the frame and the frame was only half painted)so I guess she'll be asking to come around to that in the coming days.

Gaps underneath some planks and the little bit nearest the house is not how I would have left it(a bit of the brick wall there and showing instead of taking the planks to ground level. So I'll have to try and drag some soil near to the fence to block the gaps.

And finally...one plank cannot be be put into its correct position because its against a brick wall in their garden and its too close so he'll probably have to sort that out when he returns.

At least they are just teething problems to be tidied up and the good news is that at least 5 of my shrubs have survived and are still in my garden.
The image below shows how close the Conservatory is to the fence...so little can be done from their side. Who's fault is that?

They have decided to leave us with a view of the new fence so we see all of the posts and framework. Anyone building a new fence can choose which side to face outward to another neighbour. No wonder I wish to soften the appearance.

 


Heaven knows what's happened to this shrub, I'll have to investigate later once the fence is erected.

 


We also have aquired lots of stones and little pebbles which we never had and they have also been trampled into one of the lawns so they will all have to be tidied up and removed. Their garden is so undisturbed and tidy, you would have no idea all this had happened in the last day or two. We're the one's left with any mess.

I'm holding my breath whether there will be any offer to correct any of this.

 
Posted by Picasa


I can understand how and why the easiest of people are pushed into disputes with their neighbours but once all this over I hope we'll have as little contact as possible and be left alone as its been for decades living here. I guess we have been lucky for so long, it had to go wrong eventually.

People try to copy too many of those home improvement TV programmes that seem to be on every channel these days.

Update(2011 07 17)The fence is up but done at speed so lots of mistakes...three quarters of it not treated with preservation(they were going to paint the planks before they were fastened onto the frame and the frame was only half painted)so I guess she'll be asking to come around to that in the coming days.

Gaps underneath some planks and the little bit nearest the house is not how I would have left it(a bit of the original brick wall is there and showing instead of taking the planks to ground level. So I'll have to try and drag some soil near to the fence to block the gaps.

And finally...one plank cannot be be put into its correct position because its against a brick wall in their garden and its too close to it so he'll probably have to sort that out when he returns.

At least these are just teething problems to be tidied up and the good news is that at least five of my shrubs have survived and are still in reasonable condition.

They've removed a tree in their garden that they were originally keeping only a few days ago so again more reason for the wildlife not to hang around.

But things are better than they could've been.

7 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Blimey, a week is a long time in politics and a long time in Gildy's garden! All looks very interesting and I'm sure it will look OK when it's all done...will "she" plant new grass on your side? And pay for the small shrubs?

17 July 2011 at 18:22  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

We might surprised but I'm not holding my breath.

We're already thinking what shrubs/bushes etc...

Mum is more of a fighting mood now.

I'm hoping we can redefine the border by digging it over as most of the soil etc...seems compacted and making a cut with a spade may help so there is an edge to the lawn area.

Shrubs are not too expensive to buy and grow quickly.

There is much more concrete than green stuff in their garden.

She asks where have all the birds and squirrels gone...I'd say paving just about everywhere, removing bushes and trees and owning a large dog will pretty well get rid of a lot of it.

The garden is not used much at all and the conservatory is empty most of the time.

Previous neighbours kept everything simple and more nature based.

17 July 2011 at 21:54  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Put up trellising for passion flower and sweet pea. Nice, pretty, fast growing...and she'll never to able to paint! :-)

17 July 2011 at 23:53  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Funnily enough she has flowers doing that and some could be Sweet Peas...

I'm glad you were able to follow my last post, my proof reading is bad...

Just to make it clear...

"We might be surprised but I'm not holding my breath.

We're already thinking what shrubs/bushes we can put in there.

Mum is in more of a fighting mood now. In that we're determined to reverse how it looks and we will plant what we wish in our own garden and not be dictated to.

And that doesn't mean we're out to be awkward.

I'm hoping that we can redefine the border and where te lawn starts by digging it over as most of the soil seems compacted and making a line with a spade so that the lawn area has an edge."

18 July 2011 at 01:31  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

At least the fence is keeping the Rotweiler out of our garden. Even if it is seen as a magnificent example of the canine species and you can see the strength and muscle(I saw it walking around their garden earlier today)and its like having a lion or some such beast in the home.

I forgot to mention when the fence was being erected last week our window cleaner turned up and would not go into our garden until their dog was safely out of the way.

He was nervous and said how such dogs tend to go for postmen and window cleaners etc...and no amount of reassuring worked.

If he comes as promised tomorrow and is well enough(rain allowing...we've had three days of almost continuous heavy rain, it has to be really bad to stop satellite tv working which it did)our gardener is here again.

It will be interesting to see what he thinks of the fence and the damage that needs putting right.

18 July 2011 at 11:30  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Talking of rain at least we have enough soil and lawn to absorb most if not all that falls, I can see very little if any drains next door to take away excess water and as more than two thirds of it is concreted over the water just remains in puddles with nowhere to run off and all our back gardens are slightly inclined towards the houses so it would not surprise me if their garden or house could be flooded at some point.

I can see why it has been said by some experts everywhere being concreted over reflects heat and warms the planet and perhaps that is how Humans affect things.

18 July 2011 at 11:40  
Blogger Span Ows said...

I agree, all the house, factory, road building etc effects the way water drains away, changes watercourses etc.

20 July 2011 at 21:23  

Post a Comment

<< Home