My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Using My Loaf!



Mainly due medical reasons I have avoided going out much and if I do it is very quick trip...so today I found I have enough food to last a few days but I need to collect a prescription so I will have to go out tomorrow for that but I have no bread in the house so I had some bread mix to hand and so with little or no effort(and having a nice new cooker to use)I managed to make a loaf again.

You may remember perhaps a year or so ago I shared my attempts at baking a loaf which surprised even me.

I am hoping this is an improvement on that...I think it will be ok as I stuck a skewer into the loaf and it came out clean and when I thumped the bottom of the loaf, it sounded hollow and they say that means it is cooked. So when it has cooled down...we shall see.

Update:We have starting eating it and I think it is the best loaf I have ever made!

And having had success today I went on and made my own kind of casserole or pie depending on what you wish to call it for our evening meal containing vegetables, chicken and gravy topped with mash potato(OK I cheated...)I used instant mash potato and I had a can of Chicken stew. Prepared in seconds and within 25 minutes in the oven a tasty meal. Comfort food.



I had apple crumble ready to go but we found that we were well filled so we'll have that tomorrow.

Oh how I love having a cooker again...

5 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

That bread looks superb gildy...I can imagine it now, very tasty, thick cut with a ploughman's...hmmm

Crumble (apple, plum, rhubarb/mixed fruit/whatever) is probably my favourite dessert, bit of warm custard!

14 January 2011 at 15:24  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I'd be very happy to share iwith you and agree with all that you say.

So easy to do but satisfying to eat.

That loaf of bread took 5 minutes to mix, an hour in the airing cupboard and approx 30 minutes in the oven so in reality all I did was th mixing and now I cheat by using a hand mixer with a couple of dough hooks on it.

Did I say I am once again thinking of trying something a bit fancy...

Making some souffles and creme brulees(?)

So when I am next shopping I have to buy some ramekins...

Though it may be a few weeks before I try to make them.

14 January 2011 at 15:45  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

My food may not always look as tidy as bought food does but it's how it tastes that matters...

Looking forward to that crumble tonight...

Its been so long with the old cooker stopping working and waiting to buy the new one, its made such a difference.

I now work between a steamer(but I cheat now)its just as easy for me to fill a pan with water and place a collander over it...

I have a slow cooker(still to use)a microwave and of course the cooker.

14 January 2011 at 15:50  
Blogger Span Ows said...

How it looks can be important but not when you're doing it youself, you expect a restaurant to make an effort but as you say it's the taste that counts...never had a "pretty" roast spud that was tastier than the crusty half brown ones that stick to the baking tray :-)

15 January 2011 at 13:10  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Very true Span...

Most of the time everything I cook is presented as well as anything on tv but something like that Stew often bubbles a bit and spills and rather than mess about cleaning it up cosmetically I'd rather get it served and enjoy it. :-)

16 January 2011 at 14:53  

Post a Comment

<< Home