My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Still Feel That I Am Missing Something...

I welcome the following news and for once someone is standing up to such proposals(but it's only temporary)

As I said am I missing something...I know they keep saying they want to see rents come down especially in the private sector, so what is to be gained by raising rents to match private properties(rented) or the value of bought property.

How will that force a Landord's hand?

I keep hearing that the average wage is £500...still don't see that.

Also is that after tax and everything else that is taken off at source?

Is that after you have paid for essentials like food, travel costs, heating, water, electric?

Delay to drastic housing benefit cuts after caving in to Lib Dem partners.

6 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Well, ignoring the hyperbole of the Mirror, I don't see the cuts as "drastic" and I don't see this as a cave-in; at the least it means there is some sort of discussion and cooperation which is good news for the Coalition (and the public) really.

29 November 2010 at 11:02  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

No, I don't think it can be seen cave-in, I like a discussion of some kind rather than someone who is ridden over rough shot.

If rents do not reduce, if over time they creep up to avoid people having to move many times I hope that there is some give and take and that caps are reviewed and sometimes raised to ease people's concerns.

Many when quized use phrases like "I don't expect" "It's unlikely" that is very non commital...the fact is they don't really know...

29 November 2010 at 15:47  
Blogger Paul said...

There's a case in tonights local paper about an ex-army soldier who is renting a two bedroom flat in one of the less desirable parts of Bournemouth for £600 a month. I'm way out of touch, I couldn't believe it.

30 November 2010 at 11:43  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Well, the 2 bedroomed bungelow I saw in my town for around £425 a month sounds superb in comparison(but again I assume you have to find Council Tax on top of that)as he will too.

The same when also using cities like London, Manchester, Liverpool etc...as a guide.

It seems a pity that the Government seems to be looking at prices in the South and making that the standard across the whole of the UK and as I said why bring Social Housing upto the same as private property?

You said it was a flat...not even a house or bungelow.

And putting people into less desirable areas, these should be being brought up to a more acceptable level socially. But of course do that and you'll be moved on again.

I assume that if he is working he will have to travel further to reach his place of work so he's probably even more out of pocket on his limited income.

So even if you do take a drop in your expectations, you are taken down still further.

The climb up the ladder will be more difficult, possibly you may never manage to improve your situation.

And you know what...I suspect what is seen as reasonably priced property in the North will start to rise when these rules are brought in...

30 November 2010 at 21:27  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Thinking about it...that Bungelow I mentioned is in a disirable area. This assumes that if you go for the property it is still available and has not been snapped up and the landlord wants you.

Also, this has gone much further than just debating social housing but any kind of housing so it will affect the population at large.

So many who phone in to radio stations and have a go at who they see as scroungers(and they have no real idea of a person's circumstances)will be getting a wake up call...

30 November 2010 at 21:52  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Finally, official Parliament Committee is questioning the plans(I heard it on a programme looking at the day's business in Parliament on Radio 4)and suggesting they will cause a lot of hardship for many people and they are suggesting the problems of the so called affluent South are being used to penalise England at large and that the real problem is more to do with a lack of properties...

Trouble is I suspect that will be ignored.

1 December 2010 at 01:45  

Post a Comment

<< Home