My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Is Everybody Happy?

You Bet Your Life We Are...so went the song by The Scaffold.

How do you measure happiness? It's so personal to each of us.

On the whole I have a happy disposition and rarely get miserable or depressed. And no I wouldn't say that life has always been easy. As I become older I find it seems more difficult to be an optimist.

Some are happy and lead a very simplistic life and others need and crave excitement.

I am at my most happiest when I am left alone to do as I wish, I don't bother others. I like to listen to music and the radio, perhaps eat a lovely meal. I appreciate nature. I hope I can always have access to a computer and the Internet. I hope for reasonable health, enough money to pay the bills and I wouldn't mind a little extra so I can buy perhaps a CD or DVD. My life is quite simplistic.

I remember how happy I felt when I came home some years ago after expecting to die and how good it was to be alive. If that doesn't bring home what happiness is and what your priorities are nothing will.

Of course I wish health and happiness for those who are nearest and dearest to me.

I think most have such modest goals in their lives.

So am I happy?

All the worries and stress that I feel are being caused by others and mainly due to the problems we are told daily in the news and media. I sometimes find(though it's like sticking your head in the sand)it is best to avoid any news such as the austere budget that we are being told is coming our way at a time we are being told the recession is over and we are coming out of the other side.

There is nothing to fear but fear itself. I hope that is right.

I am scared.

I think that many policies are un-necessary and being rushed through. In many cases it is political dogma.

It's unusual for me but whereas I should take one day at a time and not think too far ahead I find myself doing just that. I don't like what I see.

Do I feel happy? I'd say, like many, that I feel apprehensive.

I have someone who I love dearly who needs caring for and watching over, my own health could be better. So the future is quite daunting as it is. I have no relatives or family so at some point I will be very much alone. Or vice versa.

I think that well being and happiness are not necessarily the same. You can have all that you desire and still be unhappy.

With all the changes being proposed on keeping a roof over your head I think many will be worrying. I was just thinking if I suddenly found myself destitute or being put in a care home, I haven't many possesions but the thought of having nothing(my books, cd's, radio and or the running cost of a computer)might just about finish me off.

It seems a pointless exercise especially at a time when things are becoming difficult for many of us. It was brought home to me when I read what the Irish people will be expected to do in the coming years with all the cuts, increases in taxes and extra charges being brought in on whatever they can.

I heard that this exercise is going to cost £2million. I hope that the survey is not compulsory.

Britain to measure happiness

Update:It appears that the survey is compulsory and will be included in the 2011 census and the results will not be available until 2012. I heard the PM say that policies could be changed depending on what is found out from the survey but by then many will be law so it is doubtful they can or would be changed anyhow.

By 2012 everyone will be looking towards the next election though that happens in 2015.

But a week is a long time in politics and much could happen before then.

7 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

Snap!

I think a lot of people share your apprehension Gildy, unknown times ahead for many people.

26 November 2010 at 13:07  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Paul, I think that your post on this is very good and the examples that you give(I wanted to link to it but am unable to...just the whole of your blog)I already link to that already.

As I grow old I want to feel secure.

If I thought my life would be short I would not worry so much but assuming I do live for quite a number of years, I see doom and gloom.

A friend brought this up on a forum(you know which one)and perhaps rather than measuring happiness which is transient(You could have loads of money and all you need materialistically)but still feel unhappy.

It's probably more that we should ask whether we feel content and that adds to our well being.

Our inner soul is probably at its best saved by knowing we have others to care for and that they care for us(and no Government can help from that angle)but you still need to know that you can stay warm, eat well and have a roof over your head which I did mention.

And I'm afraid all the worries are being caused by the Government so they are adding to or causing the problems.

26 November 2010 at 18:10  
Blogger Span Ows said...

I think it will be OK but ahs been ridiculously reported (that's teh politicians fault too). Nobody will eb asked "how happy they are", at least I hope not or it will be effing stupid as it sounds and a complete waste of time.

It will probably be a survey of the perceptions of this, that and the other with 4 or 5 possible replies (disagree strongly, disagree, agree agree strongly type thing).

27 November 2010 at 17:41  
Blogger Span Ows said...

And I'm afraid all the worries are being caused by the Government so they are adding to or causing the problems.

Pretty bad eh, all in 6 months.

27 November 2010 at 17:42  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I can agree with both your posts Span :-)

That sounds probable regarding the Happiness survey.

27 November 2010 at 19:15  
Blogger Span Ows said...

I've read that Cameron's spin doctor is fuming at the "happy index" coverage as apparently it is is so far removed from what DC really means or wants. He has 'banned' all official mention of it because of the bad press; all he needs to do is to get Cameron to make a statement (well a casual accidentally on purpose public remark) to settle the matter.

29 November 2010 at 10:57  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Wouldn't you think that as much of politics is spin and promotion and that the PM worked in the media before politics at Carlton TV he would be more media savvy.

He has been picked up a few times(awhile back I think it was because he managed to get some historic dates incorrect)

Sometimes it is better to say less.

29 November 2010 at 15:54  

Post a Comment

<< Home