My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, December 04, 2010

Why?

No particular reason!

I don't know why but there are certain foods you often just never get around to trying. I can imagine some are because they simply are too gross to consider eating(It could be if you lived in a country where they are part of the every day diet, you'd think nothing of it)but we all have our own personal preferences.

So some weeks ago I purchased a jar of something...I actually purchased the smallest jar they make and said to myself this will last ages but it is almost empty.

I am sure I must've eaten it at some time earlier in my life but it never made an impression so strong that I thought we must have it in the cupboard.

In fact it's whole advertising campaign revolves around(and I cannot think of any other product that does this)whether you love it or hate it! And many of it's advertisements are very clever.

If you haven't guessed so far what it is so far it is "Marmite!"
And I can honestly say that I love it!

So far I have only spread it on bread or toast or purchased some little cheeses that have Marmite included in the mixture. In time I am sure that I will become more adventurous.

I now wonder why I have waited so long. I have purchased another already and moved onto an even larger sized jar.

I haven't tried it but I suspect that the Australian product Vegemite is very similar in all but name.

The following story broke which in the popular press was a good bit of publicity for Marmite but this link explains it in a more detailed report.

Can 'Marmite chemical' aid the heart?

2 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Yippee, another one on the 'love' side.

Have it on buttered toast (not dry toast) and the taste is even beter IMHO.

As far as I know Vegemite is exactly the same, only had it a couple of times many moons ago but to me it was a bit ligher in colour and not so strong but that could all be in my imagination and/or lost in the mists and cobwebbed corners of my mind.

6 December 2010 at 10:48  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Yep, I am a fan Span...

And making up for lost time...often where I would have looked out the marmelade or jam, I reach for the Marmite and yes I agree on buttered toast, lovely.

I did read that Vegemite is more solid in consistancy.

6 December 2010 at 14:56  

Post a Comment

<< Home