My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

What's That?

Earlier today on BBC Radio 5's Breakfast programme a Dr was talking about a medical condition where the blood becomes thick and sticky and that can damage many organs in the Human Body but mainly the Heart and Brain. Pregnant women can have a miscarriage through this without realising.

It is an Auto - Immune system problem and it has been known about since at least 1984. Here in England there are no tests being carried out or any screening programme but it seems that it is an easy test and very inexpensive both in money terms and trying to stop problems further down the line.

In some cases a baby aspirin is enough to correct the problem.

It also appears that just over the English Channel in France they do test for this condition which thanks to this Dr today I now have a name for it...Hughes Syndrome.

The first I knew about my blood being thick and sticky was around ten years ago when I first took ill and was diagnosed with kidney problems which it seems resulted in the filtering system being damaged because of the blood. And yes, I was given aspirin.

I blame the blood for causing problems with my eyesight too.

So just as I mentioned many years ago to keep a check on how much protein in your urine and to have a test once in a while. Here's another to consider.

I now have a name for the condition which I have never had before so whenever I have to fill in any official forms in the future instead of just saying my blood was thick and sticky I can say that I had Hughes Syndrome.

2 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

careful it isn't something else or taht HS has other symptoms after so many eyars untreated..."ah yes Mr. Gildy, Hughes syndrome...but you still have legs?"

24 February 2010 at 17:32  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Well, it does show that a number of conditions are known and often can be treated if a small test was done and it would save so much trouble further down the line...

25 February 2010 at 12:11  

Post a Comment

<< Home