My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Blue Screen Of Death...

I've had my computer back for approx ten days and it's been fantastic, updated software regarding the operating system and reinstalled programs. This pc is only really used for e-mail(which I don't do much of)and surfing.

Unfortunately, I am now getting the blue screen of death many times or the computer freezes often when I am in the middle of writing a post like this or clicking on a link.

So I think I will have to call the repairman in again.

Update:I have and now its a case of trying the computer out and hoping nothing else happens. It looks as though it was a memory problem so the new memory that was installed has either been moved around or replaced. So far early days but things seem ok again.

Meantime, I still have not lost interest in the water filter system and I managed to get many filters at a special price so I can keep it going until may 2011 and not spend lots of money.

I may also think of drinking some green/lemon tea again...that should really test the system out.

3 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

If you read the title and first paragraph...then skip to the end and read "I may also think of drinking some green/lemon tea again...that should really test the system out." it makes the post seem very odd! hehehe

Yes, probably memory and/or some piece of software added that was not in sync with the rest. Used to happen a lot but now most companies realisde the odds and sods that people download and so new stuff comes more compatible with most of what's "out there".

At the end of last year I downloaded some updated BIOS for my laptop and the thing wouldn't even start, flicked on the blue screen for a split second before shutting down...it was fixed easily in a few seconds (by someone who knows!) The BIOS were for Vista which wa soriginally in teh laptop but I had changed back to XP so the BIOs needed adjusting (one click!)

P.S. I still don't give the filters long...

;-)

22 January 2010 at 10:07  
Blogger Paul said...

Good luck with the green/lemon tea Gildy, I tried the green tea once along with raspberry tea and couldn't get on with it (the taste not any health issues).

23 January 2010 at 18:31  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Paul,
Lemon or Green Tea I can just about get away with because they are mild in taste or it's like drinking water. I went through a phase of trying the others that you mention and they were quite ghastly.

Span,
I'm still filtering...it's easy in that the water passes through the filter very quickly(seconds)and as the kettle is next to the water jug it goes straight into the kettle.

As for the computer problems. I have had the blue screen again and some freezing so may still have to call the repairman again but it's nowhere as bad as it was and I could live with the minor disadvantages for now.

I could wait until I go broadband and have him check it out then. I have to assume that if all goes well financially I can consider switching to to broadband I don't want to do so and find that I cannot afford to.

It seems good value to go broadband(it costs about the same or slightly more)but that doesn't allow for the usual extra charges of phone line rental on top of the monthly ISP costs.

I'm sure many people think that I sit here 24/7 but most of the time you set something off and walk away or use it like a radio or CD player.

In reality I am not at the computer screen that much at all.

I would hate to be without my computer now that I am used to it.

If I ended up in a home, knowing how much you are expected to live on and how much of your money is taken away, you could not access or run a computer. I hope that I will always be in my own home and have enough to live on.

24 January 2010 at 16:00  

Post a Comment

<< Home