My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Energy Saving Lightbulbs...

I have put my very first such bulb inside the house today, so far I have only used another in the passage that runs alongside the house. Mainly to make the traditional bulbs I have stored last longer and to be used in the areas of the home where we spend the most time.

So it's been put into the light fitting on the landing of the house especially as I leave that light on overnight for safety especially for Mum when she gets up through the night. It is better than I thought it would be and Mum seems happy with it too.

It's her first experience of such bulbs. I have found that it switches on immediately and seems to require no time to reach the maximum amount of light it is supposed to give.

It's one of the long tubular type and I thought it might be visible below the lampshade but again that hasn't happened.

There's a quote of it lasting ten years(I assume if you only use it for approx 2 hours per 24 hours)but most people use light bulbs as long as they awake(In a lounge during the Winter season I would say that you usually have one switched on approx 7-8 hours daily)and this one on the landing will be on approx 7-8 hours so we'll see.

2 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

My flat wa snew when I moved in 3 years ago and I've changed 4 bulbs already (all new fancy ones) They are all ceiling mounted jobbies and the stupid thing is that the scokets are all multiples e.g. in the bathroom there's two ceiling mounts with 2 bulbs so 4 fancy energy saving bulbs where before one decent 60W would have sufficed. Same in the living room where there are 7 (SEVEN!!!) double mounts. I hate them and not just because they're fucking (apologies) awkward to get out when they go.

12 February 2010 at 16:00  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Having bad eyesight(I don't like dull lighting but equally if it's too bright I notice the floaters in my eyesight)but I totally agree that in a longe or somewhere where you spend a lot of time you'll need more of the bulbs to get anything near the proper effect and I'm sure these new bulbs neither help the environment or your eyesight.

And again you have to put them is special recycling collection points(not in with the usual rubbish)but how many people will ignore that advice?

I can see problems ahead, the two areas I have mine don't really matter. Some companies and professions are being allowed access to what would be considered the old fashioned type of lighting which defeats the argument. It would help if the bulbs gave the same kind of effect as the old but they insist on saying they are soft white and they are always dimmer than the original type.

And as you say the change of light fittings is another matter, I see lamps still being sold and I am sure no one really has thought ahead that when only the new bulbs are available they will not be any use or adapting them will be difficult.

15 February 2010 at 06:32  

Post a Comment

<< Home