My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, February 04, 2010

Twenty Six Years Ago...

My Father passed away. Is it really that long ago?

I remember his frail body being put in the ambulance and us travelling with him.

I remember hearing the news we knew we were going to hear but did not want to.

Walking with Mum into the town centre whilst they did what they had to we tried to eat a light snack in a little French style café in a big departmental store to fill the time and stay warm. The enormity of the situation hitting home and us both crying.

That café no longer exists by the way.

The weather today was too bad to visit the crematorium and see the book of remembrance with his name on show and the inscription we wrote. Also both Mum and me are not feeling well today either but we'll never forget him and remember what is in the book. We'll say a few words tonight and light a candle.

God Bless Dad...you are always in our thoughts...

3 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

I feel for you, seriously even though "I feel for you" sound sso bloody awful 9and inadequate). My dad died 23 and a half years ago; what made it worse for my mum (I felt) was that within a month of his - sudden and totally unexpected - death I moved to South America, my brother moved to North America and my sister moved out of London (further from mum). Obviously all that was arranged months before and all of us offered to change/delay/cancel our moves but mum said no and that dad wouldn't have wanted us to "postpone" what was advancement for all of us. I like to visit the crematorium every now and again (fairly rarely owing to where I live!) he's with my granny and a cousin, to tidy the plot.

5 February 2010 at 23:50  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Thanks for that Span...I guess this proves that many of us have similar feelings and experiences.

Crematoriums do not need to be sad places, they are often peaceful and somewhere to contemplate, it has been too long since I was able to visit...perhaps next year.

Your Mum sounds a remarkable lady.

6 February 2010 at 01:35  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Yes she is! Though at times very trying ;-)

And yes, I too find the crematorium 'peaceful and somewhere to contemplate'.

7 February 2010 at 00:55  

Post a Comment

<< Home