My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, January 16, 2010

How Long Before I Lose Interest In My New Toy?

We are fortunate in the UK in that our water system is safe and it you can drink straight from the tap. It is not necessary to boil the water before drinking it nor is it really necessary to buy bottled mineral water.

But for many years I have heard of the benefit of filtered water. I have resisted until now. I have heard that there are some elements in water that are better filtered out including herbicides, pesticides, lead, chlorine and limescale.

Some of these systems are very expensive when you take into account the ongoing purchase of filters and the water jug etc...in the first place. You can be talking of £16 and up over.

Yesterday, one of our local stores had an offer. OK it was a make I had not heard of but it seems well established and the offer was buy the jug with a free filter included. Also, a box of three filters(or two boxes of filters that's six filters in total)whatever your combination it came out at only £5. So I have enough filters to last me until the middle of May.

If the offer is still available and they have not sold out because of the saving I may buy another couple of boxes of filters early next week. Then I have enough for the whole of the year. I make quite a saving and should they decide to no longer stock the product or on going items needed to run it. I am ok for a whole year and I understand that other stockists carry it but if not, you can also buy online.

I understand that you can store the jug(space permitting on the inside of a fridge door to keep the water very cold)otherwise the water stays cool. Another advantage to keeping it in fridge(and I have heard this before that if you do that with any tap water chlorine disappears anyhow...so some of the work is done without filtering.

I live in a hard water area so limescale can be a problem and in recent years(Who knows what it does to heating systems)but it can mean a build up of limescale, you see it around taps, in toilet bowls and so on. And it is said to be an enemy of elements as used in electric kettles.

It might be true...some people say when a kettle is not in use leave it empty, Don't leave the element sitting in water but if you are making drinks at various times around the clock maybe that's not practical. I do know that I seem to go through more kettles than we used to and they seemed to last years in the past...now you are lucky if they last a year.

Well, if I use filtered water that takes away or reduce the amount of limescale in it maybe kettles will last longer. It cannot hurt. But though there are many fancy and expensive kettles around I just buy the most basic design possible as then when they fail, it's easy to replace. And as this week proved when the kettle failed at three in morning...I also make certain now that I always have a spare one in the house ready for such an event which I know will happen one day.

Now, I wonder how long before I lose interest in my new purchase? Can I taste any difference...Well, I cannot say that I can. Could Mum? No, not really. It cannot harm to use it...

Well...I can think of one problem or is that two? When the filters are finished there isn't any way to recycle or drop them off and so they go in the bin as rubbish and I assume that means to a landfill site and...the filter contains carbon so maybe it's not so eco friendly after all...

3 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

My bet is that before you're due to change the first filter you'll lose interest....I did!

16 January 2010 at 13:01  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

If the offer extends and is still on so I can buy six filters for £5 and I buy enough for the year, I'll stick at it. That means in total I will have spent around £15.

Still a bargain but looking on the website they are expensive but spread over the year not so.

Double life filters work out less expensive.

There is an offer on the website for a short period of time on double life filters(enough for a year and a free jug thrown in for £20)

You can pay almost £20 just for six single month filters alone that's almost the same as a year's worth of the double life filters. That's a better buy.

If I do that I'll have spent £25 altogether but at the same time saved money(Of course not buying it in the first place I would have saved much more)

16 January 2010 at 20:02  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

If I can stretch a little further I have discovered a pack of double filters(on special offer)that will last me two years and bring the cost down to 25p per week. So what's that?

Approx 3p a day...

Less filters to throw away.

17 January 2010 at 01:01  

Post a Comment

<< Home