My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Salt...

There is too much salt in many prepared foods but our bodies do need some to run correctly. I have never eaten a lot of salt and with my medical condition I probably would do myself more harm than good to eat too much but I do remember being told that even I can eat some(within reason)

If you live in a hot country people are often told to take salt tablets but it appears that the main reason is that when you sweat you lose various minerals out of the body.

If I have any, I like it on chips and potatoes. Otherwise, I cannot really think of anything else that stands out. Like sugar on cereals or in tea or coffee to some extent you get used to the taste of something and you find initially giving it up is difficult and food can taste bland but in time you do manage without and find yourself wondering why you added it in the first place.

Because I eat so little salt I can make a container last ages...I have bought Saxa salt for years but now I often just buy the supermarket's own brand. Some months ago I bought some sea salt but that if transferred to a salt cellar just seemed to get moist and was very difficult to shake onto food.

The other day I saw some fine sea salt under the Saxa brand in a container and purchased it.

It is almost four times the price of table salt(and maybe four times smaller)but I gave it a try. You seem to need less and it doesn't stick to food the same as table salt does. I think it also contains some extra minerals.

Though fine I think it is slightly coarser than the first type that I tried and if left in it's little container I think it is unlikely to become damp.

So the first impression is positive.

Salt

Salt Tablets

4 Comments:

Anonymous Northstar said...

Good points, Gildy.

Whenever I make a recipe, I ignore the salt, as well as the butter. (I hope MissBonnieLass and other decent cooks don't read that.) I'm a big fan of spices, particularly those that are hot. In my opinion, the spices are more flavorful than salt.

28 June 2009 at 01:07  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

My father was, from memory good at cooking and I think like me, I seem to remember him doing many of the meals or it was a shared task.

I'm not sure that he cooked what you'd call special meals but we ate well.

I think I have tried a few ideas that he might've enjoyed.

One thing he did enjoy and he was very into was salt.

He would often add it to his meal before tasting it first. And even not knowing of the dangers in those days, we would sometimes comment about how much he ate...yet on most other things he ate healthily.

The habbit that he never broke totally and did most harm was being a smoker.

Spices...well, I do add more in my cooking than I ever have but I am still learning how to use them and still have to get used to using those that add warmth to a dish.

28 June 2009 at 03:46  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Northstar sounds like my siblings, my brother is a sort of part time cook (had his own business for a while) and my sis is a super fit freak, both eschew salt, especially added salt on the served-up food.

Me, I'm a fat git and I sweat a lot but I also like salt! By the way I had a "span soup" last night that would knock most peopel over...the chilli and ginger could be smelt down the street :-)

Our bodies leaches out minerals and salt is essential to a variety of functions and "only about 75% comes from the food we eat (60 to 80% is a range I've read more thane) If you eat no packaged and no processed food you will need to take more, that said almost nobody these day eats NO such food, even boxed cereals have it and muesli etc have it added.

My favourite added salt - steak (I know you're not menat to have too much red meat Gildy but if you have the odd piece now and again try it with nothing added then try a piece with a smidgeon of coarse rock salt granules sprinkled on...hmmmmmmm.

4 July 2009 at 08:38  
Blogger Span Ows said...

should read

..."only" about 75% comes from the food we eat (60 to 80% is a range I've read more than once)...

And now I've read your link I see the 75% is pretty much dead on...BUT a word of warning, those myths and 'FALSE' statement you'll note that in 2 or 3 of then it's mentioned about teh food we eat...this is packaged and processed food:, from the page:

"...breakfast cereals, soups, sauces, ready meals and biscuits, it's easy to eat too much salt without adding any yourself. In fact, one or two servings of some foods could contain more than the recommended daily maximum for adults (6g)"

Sorted!

4 July 2009 at 08:44  

Post a Comment

<< Home