My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Friday, July 24, 2009

Names...

I should really post a long entry about the names people have...over centuries many have been associated with the profession or position you held in society.

But some just have you wondering why or how the surname was originally chosen and why you'd be willing to keep it.

However, when watching the end of an old Warner Bros B/W movie on tv today starring Gary Cooper and Barbara Standwyck. I started to remember that she had been married to the actor Robert Taylor a rather dashing handsome leading actor of 1940's Hollywood. In the back of my mind I remembered that he had a rather unusal name that was changed for his acting career but could not quite remember what it originally was...enter the internet...

I kidd you not...Robert Taylor was born Spangler Arlington Brugh.

That is some name you must agree...

2 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Oi, nothing wrong with Spangler ;-)

What about Rip Torn? There are loads of funny actos names and it amkes you wonder just what their parents were thinking! I did a blog post on this some time ago about a pair that were giving a number (or something) to their son.

8 August 2009 at 13:59  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Some must be chosen with an element of humour, yes, I'd forgotten about Rip Torn I must admit. :-)

10 August 2009 at 17:53  

Post a Comment

<< Home