My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, June 13, 2009

The Aycliffe Head...

Well, opinion will vary and it's a personal thing as art always will be)I passed my views on a new sculpture that had been commissioned for a North East England town on both how much it has cost and it's design. It has been erected and as a contributor to my blog kindly informed me in the comments area and supplied a link to a site showing it being manufactured I thought that I should return to the subject.

The local free sheet had some letters from some town residents earlier today(just a few so whether they are representative of the overall feeling of the townsfolk...I don't know. But it's a mixture of dislike and those that kind of praise it ask whether the site where it has been erected is the best that could've been chosen. As for me, I still remain unimpressed even if I accept that a lot of work has gone into it.

I have a link that I have tried to post to a few times but it refused to work so I have decided to leave it in code so if you cut and paste it into your browser you should be able to look at images of the sculpture.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8079580.stm

3 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

"...intended to mark Newton Aycliffe’s industrial heritage and symbolise regeneration."

"The dramatic monument that has been two years in the making at Aycliffe Fabrications aims to pay homage to the ‘blood, sweat and tears’ of work and workers – a celebration of people who use their hands to ply their trade."

Almost exactly a year ago that you posted on this Gildy. Still no "real pictures": when I googled it (and in the Google images) yours was the main link! Well done

13 June 2009 at 14:01  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Thanks Span...but guess what...as you may see now there is now a link that if you cut and paste will give you some real images of the head but for some reason it refuses to allow me to link to the webpage direct.

14 June 2009 at 19:27  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Oh dear, having now seen the pictures it's worse than I thought!

18 June 2009 at 22:26  

Post a Comment

<< Home