My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, March 28, 2009

You'll Always Forget Something...Even If You Write A List...

I have some lovely cakes and to be honest I sometimes think why bother to bake when there are some high quality products out there already but there is something about doing it yourself. And I will sometime soon have a go at baking some scones or maybe some biscuits and yes...cakes.

I have flours, baking sundries and even some decorations to make them look nice but what did I forget to buy?

Some cutters to cut shapes out of pastry/batter so I will have to put this off for a few more days.

On the other hand some items are difficult to find...remarkably one that has all but beaten me is greaseproof paper. All the usual places either are not selling it(even though they sell cling film and foil)and the only supermarket in town is selling something they say is greaseproof paper but it is more like brown wrapping paper that resembles what you use to wrap a parcel in and send through the mail. What I want is that kind of greaseproof paper that resembles tracing paper. Who would've thought you could be beaten so easily?

Perhaps, I'll have another go at making some peppermint creams for the time being, they came out pretty good the last time I gave them a try. They tasted good, they looked good and I was able to have them coated in chocolate(all or half dipped) and yes, in any colour I chose to have them but green is quite a good colour. I don't mean those hard sugary peppermint creams...more like those fondant type.

Update:Greaseproof paper? A friend has suggested baking parchment...an excellent alternative and I'll see if I can find any but I know that the shops I have tried so far did not stock that either.

I mentioned that I forgot to buy some cutters for making shapes out of pastry etc...so I can make some scones or whatever...and I might have to delay making some...and then just as I have been recycling the metal trays that some bought roast potatoes come in and are cooked in the oven and they have been as good as proper and expensive ovenware.

I was looking at almost empty jar of coffee as I was on here and I realised that the plastic top of the jar is the right size and will do the job just as well and if not I have a glass top on another jar which is the same size.

Of course I may still want to have some fancy shaped cutters but for now...we are in business, if I make cheese scones. Otherwise I will have to wait until I get some fruit to put into the mixture and if I make some plain scones I need some jam.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home