My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Monday, March 02, 2009

Mixed Blessings...

Not important really and we've all done it...but I was carefully sliding a dinner plate off the draining board in the kitchen and nothing was piled up precariously but I forgot that two side plates were under the dinner plate and hidden and as I took the plate away, those side plates crashed to the floor and broke. I have in recent months had similar accidents that I can blame on stupidity but this time...not so. So I guess I'll be looking for some general daily tableware later in the week(bowls and side plates mainly)

These were not particularly expensive but good for the job. So I have odd numbers left now...three blue plates and five in cream. I have not seen them on sale since I purchased my set.

Update:I managed to get out briefly today and find some plates almost like those that I smashed(they may be slightly more fashionable as they are more rectangular with the corners rounded off)so I purchased four in a cream colour and whilst I was at it I also purchased four cereal bowls(to help replace some of those that have been broken previously)but there were only two that matched that colour on the shelf and I could not wait for new stock arriving so I chose another two in a sort of light coffee colour, as there are only the two of us and we tend to grab whatever is close to hand I'm not bothered about that. I may make do with what I have or if I see some later buy a couple of spares.

It doesn't really matter unless when you entertain and you have enough of everything that matches. I was expecting to pay £8 but at the checkout but was only charged around £5 so I saved £3 or could've bought a few more items.

Things have a habit of happening in three's so they say...

That's one accident...

Last weekend, it was the middle of the night and I reached over to switch on the bedside lamp and it disintegrated in a flash of light...I thought the bulb had blown, it turned out the socket the light bulb and shade fastened into had dried out and become brittle so that was what was broken.

I suppose I could've purchased a new socket and connected up the cable but it looked a little complicated so I decided to look for a new lamp today. Nothing terrifically expensive. The choice in town wasn't great and those available might've been a bit fashionable but I could see problems getting replacement lamp shades.

I ended up at the supermarket again and managed to get one reasonably fashionable and "Normal" looking lamp for under £4...at those kind of prices you can't be robbed. Buying a socket and/or a shade is probably more expensive than buying the complete lamp.

So what will be the next item to break? Or should I include stabbing my thumb with the prongs on a sharp kitchen knife?

Oh an after thought, if you stopped in the street by the police and found to have a penknife on your person you can be arrested and taken away.

I've said this before...what happens now if you want to use a penknife(or a Swiss Army Knife)for every day tasks or if you are camping or whatever. I have thought of buying one myself(even though I have yet to do so)though when I worked in a jewellers store we were given one to do watch repairs and simple jewellery repairs etc...and we always kept our own knife on our person to avoid them going missing as much as anything. I assume I could no longer carry that these days. If you can at least if you buy one you could get it home from where you've purchased it.

Yet tonight on TV a presenter was shown at a fruit stall in London cutting a kiwi fruit in half using a pen knife. A perfectly sane reason for using a penknife. How many people used to have a knife to cut a piece of cheese, cut an apple, tomato or a chunk of bread when having perhaps a Ploughman's Lunch, has this all stopped now or would anyone caught doing so be likely to be in trouble with the law? We seem to have gone too far because of the few. If you are intent on harming someone this is not going to stop it happening.

If you were carrying a big kitchen knife or one of a combat type with a serrated edge a ban or control of what you are doing makes sense but a pen knife?
A guide to knife laws in the UK

Having read this article the situation is clearer than it has been reported on tv and radio news and it would appear to mainly affect children and teenagers and common sense on the sides of the police and anyone that has a knife on their person.


2 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

For some reason I've recently thought about buying a knife...God knows why, I've never carried one except as a scout and in my Venezuela days on the ranches (not just de riguer but necesary for various reasons!)

7 March 2009 at 20:09  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

It is still minority that causes problems, I'm not sure where I would be legally...in reality I have not really found a use for one in my daily life but then again if you are mainly at home, most reasons for having say a penknife can be dealt with when you get home but would it really do any harm having one?

And you've mentioned the Scouts, have they stopped allowing them having one?

Are the rules different across Europe?

8 March 2009 at 00:07  

Post a Comment

<< Home