My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Pancakes...

How do you like your's? Is Pancake Day only celebrated in the UK this coming Tuesday as it happens(I know it's connected to Lent)or is it something done across the World? We've never eaten them as much as we could've(perhaps we should start again) I have made my own batter(the first time ever last year)but I cannot remember why but I usually cheat we have a make of pancakes that are so good, I sometimes wonder if it's worth making your own mixture(Aunt Bessie's)they are really thin and you can fry them up without having to add any oil in the pan. And you can put any that remain in your freezer.

We usually put lemon juice and sugar on our's but looking at a magazine given free in a supermarket and a tv advert I have had some other ideas and I bet there are many more on the internet if you go to the recipe sites. I've put some links in my blog entry for ideas for fillings etc...and the history of the day...

Update:I made such a good job of my pie with puff pastry crust, there was no room for pancakes so I'm postponing it for one day and making Pancake Day Wednesday this year. And since writing my post I have found even more recipes with suitable fillings for pancakes and advice on what to put in them...I'm spoilt for choice.

3 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Same here (re ...lemon juice and sugar). There are similar versions in many countries...bit like pies and sausages, different countries and cultures have their own style/type, but when it come to pancakes, all the others are crepe.

22 February 2009 at 14:35  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Well said Span ;-)

Many are the same only the name changes...I wonder why I tend to wait to have them only once a year? I'll have to change that.

Another person on a forum I frequent likes savory pancakes. And folds theminto a kind of pouch but that starts to resemble food from South America...

22 February 2009 at 15:15  
Blogger Span Ows said...

empanadas...hmmmmm
with meat are the best and you bite the top off and pour hot sauce in....hmmmmm

22 February 2009 at 21:41  

Post a Comment

<< Home