My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Monday, February 16, 2009

Bloods...

Well, I had bloods taken last week and had to have another taken today and I told the nurse taking them that I would be having exactly the same tests but because someone at the Dr's surgery who prepares the paperwork had not ticked one of the boxes, one test was not taken and the nurse would not tick the unticked box to say I required a full blood count. Talk about being pedantic!

I only hope that does not mean that today's tests are a waste of time and that means I have to have another at the hospital on Thursday as that was one of the reasons for having the tests today so the information is there for the consultant. If all is well whilst in the neighbouring town the hospital is near two supermarkets not on my town and I'll pop in and see if I can find something a little different(and hopefully find a Birthday card and gift)it's Mum's Birthday on Saturday.

I'm not sure I can bring much home as there is little if any room in the fridge/freezer.

I can report that I made my first cottage pie today...it tasted pretty good and looked as good as any I have purchased in the shops.

I must've done something right as Mum came back for seconds and very little was left at the end of the meal. I also cheated by not buying any special baking trays etc...but used a metal foil tray that had been used to cook some Baked Potatoes in the previous night and it was the right size for the cottage pie.

It was packed full of goodness and no added salt or similar ingredients, it probably had more meat and vegetables in it than any bought in a shop.

I made an onion gravy, browned off some lamb and mutton mince, added it to the gravy with diced swede, carrot, peas etc...and topped it off with maris piper mashed potato, into the oven for 30 mins(190 degrees)and that was all it took. But the result was superb even if I say it myself. I felt good eating it and also as good afterwards. I could not eat anything afterwards and originally planned to have some extra vegetables on the plate but this was a meal in itself and I assume the size of the tray actually meant it serves one person, well there was enough for two.

I generally know what is the correct temperature for cooking certain items, if I don't I use the same instructions as I see on the products that are similar and purchased at the supermarket or find it on cookery sites on the net.

Most definitely comfort food.

Then again a simple meal of sliced chicken breast, brussels sprouts, turnip/butternut squash(mashed)roast potatoes and onion gravy plus yorkshire puddings which we had last evening was equally tasty.

A quick recipe...maybe for a snack you've heard(I hope)of what is called egg and bread or Gypsy toast?

It is a variation on omelets. You beat an egg with or without the addition of some milk. Dip some white bread in the mixture and fry it in a pan with or without oil/fat but if you use oil sunflower or olive oil is best.

Well, I came across the variation above which looks like one worth considering...

Update:I must've done something right with my Cottage Pie as Mum has mentioned how much she enjoyed it the following day so I will be doing it again...

2 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

From blood test to cottage pie...the mind boggles. Hope the results go as expected and many happty returns to your mum if I don't post before.

Next up try baked beans instead of the peas etc in the cottage pie...makes a delicious change.

19 February 2009 at 18:44  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I like the sound of that as an alternative...in fact I have some cans of organic beans without the tomato sauce so...it could be a way to use them up.

I went mad today and purchased so much fresh fruit and vegetables today, I hope I can use it all...its all good stuff.

I'm thinking of making some leek and mushroom pies(and adding some chicken too)but I'm cheating...I'm reusing a tray that some roast potatoes came in and were cooked and I may make one that looks like a cottage pie(a crust on top)but no pastry on the bottom, just have to decide whether to use a shortcrust top or puff pastry but I don't have any PP in the house at present.

I'm not sure how confident I am to make my own...

19 February 2009 at 22:37  

Post a Comment

<< Home