My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Monday, February 02, 2009

The UK(Well,Some Of It Grinds To A Halt)

It's been a day where depending on which newspaper or tv or radio station you watched or listened to there were tales of many cities, towns and villages struggling to cope with the amount of snow that had fallen but where once you would b told that the North of England gets the worst of this weather when it occurs, it was the Southern half that was hit the worst. And news reports suggest that where it was bad in the North, the people got on with their lives and things still carried on much as normal. If just slightly slower than normal. All kinds of statistics and information being relayed such as it being the worst snowfall for 20 years etc...

A day where little if anything could be done other than staying warm under the duvet and then in case the weather continues to be bad as we are told it will I went out and did a quick shop so I can remain indoors for most of the week. Plenty of fruit, fresh vegetables and I stocked up on meat and fish. And got home as quick as possible. As I write this, it is raining outside so the snow is thawing out and disappearing at quite a rate...Having said that if it freezes as is likely, it could be quite dangerous and hazardous whether you are walking, driving or taking public transport.

Worst snow for 18 years

Millions take ANOTHER Snow Day

My bargain of the day? There are many sites on the internet that offer recipes for soups, meals and cocktails but not as many for making juices and smoothies and there is still something about having a book that you can look at the images and refer to. Many books are expensive. Even if you order on the net.

I have been looking in the charity shops for some books without success but today I found two(Both contain over 200+ recipes)and were worth £13(I paid £6.50)many great ideas contained that I would probably not have thought of...and it will give me the chance to come up with other ideas. All fully illustrated, well written and on high quality glossy paper.

So don't be surprised if I try many of them out and tell you what I think and share some with you. That smoothie/blender is being well used as is the cocktail shaker for healthy, luxurious drinks and yes, occasionally alcoholic fare. I have quite lot of booze to get through...responsibly of course.

2 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

oh yes...responsibly of course! :-)

P.S. I suppose I'd just annoy you by saying I've been sweating in high temps and sultry sun all week...working...responsibly, of course ;-)

7 February 2009 at 01:34  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Not at all Span...
Perhaps you might've liked a little of the white stuff...I mean snow of course ;-)

There are too many pressure groups now and people worrying over events like this...you have some health and safety rules that go over the top and places close because they are afraid of being sued if someone hurts themselves(you know...children slipping and sliding etc...)yet we all remember throwing snowballs and/or sledging and/or sliding on a path.

And what do most children do when not at school in this kind of weather...all the above and worse.

But then when it really is unsafe and it has been bad in many parts of the UK instead of accepting it's a rare event and just getting on with it or enjoying the experience(how many people have even seen snow in recent years)but we have some public figures demanding schools stay open etc...and yet you have emergency services saying do not go out unless its absolutely necessary.

What do they want? Hospitals inundated with people who are injured and people possibly off work or school for longer because they have hurt themselves? Or the elderly out there falling down.

Does this happen in other countries or just the UK?

7 February 2009 at 02:44  

Post a Comment

<< Home