My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, February 07, 2009

Nothing Exciting Going On...

So here I am at this silly hour having taken my weekly medication that supposedly protects my bones from thinning waiting for an hour to pass as the directions say that I have to sit or stand for an hour before I can lay down and even then I have to eat something before laying down. But I have told you this before...


Depending on how I feel I may have something simple like a bacon buttie...or what is called a Full English Breakfast(that's tomatoes, beans, mushrooms, bacon, fried bread, egg(scrambled or fried)or any of the above in any combination. Or maybe I'll keep it simple and have a bowl of porridge with some fruit(good to reduce cholesterol and have a portion of fruit)

Well, I had none of the above after all(but may later this morning)Not the most healthy option but I went for something simple so I could get to bed...a crisp sandwich with some Branston small chunk pickle but I still enjoyed it.

Did you know in the UK we are told to eat 5 portions of fruit and vegetables daily to stay healthy but in America it is 8 portions.

In the meantime, I am listening to the radio...the BBC World Service has an interesting programme regarding religion(Creation)versing the scientific view(Evolution)of how the World began in Charles Darwin's body of work.

I'm afraid no side can really explain this and in the end it has to be personal to the individual and you have to search for the answer. If you find the answer, that is fantastic. I have my own faith and beliefs as much as anyone is able.

Then I have an instalment of The Atlantic Records Story on another BBC radio station(broadcasting it at 3am of all times)There is a great series on at this time every night. In the meantime, another station runs some great radio shows overnight(that I could not sit up and listen to overnight)and it is only available downstairs via the satellite system, it would take too much of my internet time and the player has started to behave strangely, so often I time shift it to listen to later but tonight I discovered my recorder had stopped working so I lost quite a bit of what I hoped to listen to. It happens rarely but is so annoying when it does.

I don't know why but some of the best programmes seem to be broadcast at crazy times and ok it's only a personal view but some of the poor stuff is on at times when it's easier to listen to.

Can I recommend two programmes that regularly go out on BBC Radio 2(music based)on Saturday evenings between 8pm-11pm(but are available on line(as a live stream or for 7 days on a listen again bases via the net)

Suzi Quatro(the rocking singer)playing the diverse music of America(with many rare recordings)and sometimes a guest saying which music influenced them, sometimes you get a surprise. A new show that is trying to recreate the stations that the UK listened to in the 1960's that broadcast from ships at sea and were known under the blanket term "Pirate Radio" with one of the original and best DJ's of the time returning so I assume playing the music of the time and trying to sound as we remember. That DJ being Johnnie Walker.

And if you really love radio 7pm-8pm usually there is a concert or a documentary about a music subject...tomorrow the singer Don McClean who sang American Pie talks to Maria Elena Holly the widow of Buddy Holly who died 50 years ago this week in a plane crash alongside JP Richardson(The Big Bopper)and Richie Valens.

I have to say that I really do watch less tv these days and prefer to listen to the radio.

Anything interesting happening away from radio?

Well, I hope Mum is continuing to improve but it's a long road to recovery...I'm due to have another blood test so will see my Dr on Monday and I have another hospital appointment in approx a fortnight(so I wonder if all will be well...)and unfortunately the other problem is playing up again so I plan to do as little as possible this weekend and I hope it settles down.

My interest in cooking is as great as ever...I hope to be making my first cake soon, a banana cake. Also some home made fish cakes. So at least I have some knowledge of how to make soups, bread, casseroles, general meals and deserts and I am still learning all the different smoothies, juices and cocktails that I can.

To that end, again I found two great books yesterday in the charity shops in town on top of recent books I have purchased(together they are worth approx £23)and I paid £3.50. They are a little different this time because they have recipes for drinks using vegetables and fruit but they also offer combinations to boost your energy, clean your system etc...but also lots of additional information missing in other books I have making it easier to work out how much fruit or vegetables you put into a drink without necessarily having to measure or weigh everything out.

Also, there is information about how long you can store items in the fridge which sometimes is difficult to gauge and if you do not always use everything by the date on the container or packet(that the supermarket has put on it)you may throw it out something that is still perfectly ok.

These books also have information on what vitamins and minerals are in each fruit/vegetable and what they may be good for regarding your health and conditions you may have or wish to avoid.

So again, it was a good day for bargains...and I have a lot of things to try and my blender is being put to good use.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home