My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, February 07, 2009

And Still They Go On About The Snow...

I have no problem with the media looking for the snow stories and informing us of how bad it is...

I have more of a problem with all the people going on about schools being closed and how wrong it is that people are staying at home and by doing so they are all classed as skivers...it is the same mind set how often those with no experiences of their own condemn others.

Are we really being told that by some schools being closed for a few days because a rare event of snow or ice has made it dangerous to travel to school or if the school could open perhaps all the staff have been unable to get in or would have to leave early because the weather will deteriorate again the education of our children will be ruined? A few days can affect a whole years work...that doesn't say much about the quality of the system.

It was said that it was a disgrace that buses were taken off the roads in London and that in the wartime they were able to continue a service of sorts but bombs were not landing all the time and managing snow and ice with a large vehicle is a bit different. And again, if a bus had an accident wiping out a car or knocking over the public, who would be the first to complain or sue? There have been plenty of so called experts or public figures giving their opinions on the tv news.

Let us not forget times have changed(for good or bad)If a school had closed in years gone by, chances are one parent would be at home so children would be taken care of but now many homes have both parents working so it is harder to arrange child care or make arrangements so one person can stay at home and perhaps not go into work. That is probably what makes it more difficult to cope these days.

For now it is a rare event, if it changes and becomes the norm maybe then things will have to be looked at and a change in how society manages such situations considered but for now I wish people in general would stop complaining and I am sorry but I am going to say it...chill out!

2 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

Quite right Gildy. I found the attitude to the schools closing appalling - two days they were closed that was all and yet people were carrying on as if some sort of intellectual child abuse was the problem. Of course we could always adopt the German approach to snow and get everybody to brush their drives and pavements but that would be too simple.

13 February 2009 at 23:54  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Paul,
I don't know if it's the media to blame or whether it's because we hear more vox pops these days but I seem to find that many people are grumpy and critical about many of the basic aspects of life. That often people need to calm down.

I could see a problem if someone is missing their education regularly and it's unauthorised but a few days every few years?

When you have a small amount of snow, I can see clearing of snow is a good idea and I remember it being the normal thing to do but often I find its safer to leave the snow that has fallen rather than trying to move it and have perhaps ice underneath exposed or allowing the snow to thaw and then refreeze. It's harder when you fall onto it if you slip.

It's been quite exceptional in many areas. Not too bad in my town though.

14 February 2009 at 03:03  

Post a Comment

<< Home