My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Monday, November 03, 2008

My First Loaf Of Bread...

I finally got around to making my very first loaf of bread.

I think that I can do better but for a first attempt and with little or no equipment than the most basic possible...it appears to be OK.




The first image is before it was put in the oven.

And this is the finished item.

I'll know how well I have done when I get chance to try it out later today(which may be sooner than later)as I am almost out of bread and probably will not get to the shops before tomorrow afternoon.

And in case you wish to try it yourself here's the website I decided to take the recipe from but there are loads of places offering various bread recipes.

Update:It maybe seems a very bland term but how does it taste? I asked Mum and she said "Nice!" and that's probably what I'd say too. It's as good as any I have purchased from a baker's in any high street shop. Perhaps next time I'll make a smaller one, use a loaf tin(which I have purchased)and see what difference adding butter or margerine might make. But it's so easy...

Domestic Goddess In Training

I have found two other sites worth looking at...

The Knead For Bread Blog

Cooking Bread

7 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

Come on then Gildy - what did it taste like? Certainly looks good.

3 November 2008 at 18:29  
Blogger Ian Y said...

It looks great, Gildy - well done!

PS is there any left?

4 November 2008 at 21:34  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

There is Ian...but not much.

It's good but I cannot eat enough bread to use it all up. That goes for all food.

So the answer is as I suggested elsewhere, I will make more bread but smaller loaves ;-)

It should be easy if I just adapt the measurements of all the ingredients.

5 November 2008 at 18:00  
Blogger Name Witheld said...

It looks like a perfectly good loaf of bread to me! There's definitely a certain "je ne sais quoi" about home baked bread, isn't there?

5 November 2008 at 20:22  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Hello Shy,
Good to see you around. Yep, I have to agree. I do miss having what I see as a Baker offering the choice we once were offered and though the local supermraket has increased choice, the range/variety is not really much different other than judged on price, colour of wrapper etc...and we are down to a few companies manufacturing the whole lot.

I wonder if I can make any other items like buns? Even if I do so just once, to say that you are able to means something.

When you talk to others it's amazing how many have trained to be a cook/chef or dabble in the Kitchen.

Repeating myself, I realise more than ever that most recipes consist of similar basic ingredients/instructions and all you do is adapt.

I have at least learned that I will not starve.

6 November 2008 at 02:25  
Blogger Span Ows said...

I bet you anything it was a bit har, nice flavour but rock-like...practising for memorial building? ;-)...the first few loaves always are!

9 November 2008 at 23:02  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

You are right Span,
It was perfectly ok but yes not as soft perhaps as those in the shops...now, how do we put that little problem right?...is it a case of not cooking the loaf fo as long? Or maybe the temperature was too high?

I am wondering whether to try making a Meat Loaf next now I have loaf tin. The last time had that was decades ago when my Best Friend's Mother used to make one for her family and I stayed for tea.

It could be as long ago for me having a curry. Which she also did...as the family was Asian. Thankfully, it wasn't too strong on the curry powder :-0

19 November 2008 at 18:23  

Post a Comment

<< Home