My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Monday, November 17, 2008

Mutton Dressed As Lamb...

I was looking for some mince whilst shopping last week and came across in the value range of the supermarket a prepacked item containing Lamb and Mutton combined.

I thought to myself have I ever eaten Mutton? Why have I never seen it for sale on the shelves of the supermarket or in the local Butcher's for that matter. I don't think it's me not being observant.

A little bit of investigation and thinking about it, it seems that our own HRH Prince Charles has been promoting Mutton and trying to make it popular again with a campaign that has been going on for at least 5 years. It might just be starting to get somewhere. I understand from reading or hearing something only a few days ago that it is one of his or perhaps his favourite meat.

If you go back in the history of the British people for centuries it was a staple part of the diet of the population perhaps because it was cheap or maybe it was readily available. That perhaps would be unfair as I am sure it was eaten by the Royal Family too. I don't know why but I always think of Henry VIII when I talk of Mutton which may be a wrong thing to do.

It was also an important source of protein during the World Wars when meat was scarce and was rationed. But there were some inventive dishes and the experts say that we were much healthier then.

Even I can remember hearing of Mutton Chops to be eaten and even it being used as an expression regarding how someone looks. Which brings me to the expression "Mutton dressed as Lamb!" which is basically saying that you are trying to serve a poorer meat up as it's better quality equivalent.

On a BBC radio programme today that talks of food someone said that mutton has a problem shaking off this kind of image with people and if they tried it and it was more readily available, it could become popular again and be enjoyed.
It's not unlike comparing Beef against Veal.

When I did a search on the Internet for recipes using Mutton and it's taken some doing, practically all recipes that come up are offering Mutton only as mince and as ingredient in recipes for curries.

It is said to be very tasty, lean and sweet. I think but I cannot be sure that I have seen Mutton included in some popular brands of soup. I'll have to pay attention next time and see if I can see any of it in the list of ingredients.

I understand that some high class restaurants are starting to put Mutton on their menu and it is going down well with customers so perhaps it's only a matter of time.

As for eating meat have been eating Pork, Chicken, Turkey and Fish but recently found that I can enjoy eating Lamb again(I have some neck fillet and lamb chops in the freezer)but last night I was short of some items so I ate a Lamb burger from the Bird's Eye Range and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I can and will make my own but I think Bird's Eye is a highly reputable company and usually offers good value for money and I reckon my meal of roasted vegetables, mashed potato and Lamb burger came in for approx £1 per person which I think is not bad value for a main meal.

Then again Rabbit is starting to be sold again so maybe we are starting to return to more traditional, wholesome food. Whether I see myself eating Rabbit...I have yet to decide but then again I have not eaten Game. I do draw the line though at not eating offal etc...

Butcher presents mutton to prince

4 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

I'd rather have rabbit than mutton to be honest, when I've had mutton in the past I've found the smell to be a bit offputting. As for offal I was only thinking the other day it's ages since we had liver and bacon - that's the closest I'll be getting.

18 November 2008 at 22:09  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I have to admit that I have enjoyed Liver and Bacon in the past. I probably would avoid it myself these days. The only meat I tend to avoid is Beef. In the case of Rabbit or Mutton it's not for any reason other than it not being readily available. So I don't think of it.

18 November 2008 at 23:23  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Mutton can be a bit whiffy as Paul says and tends to need more cooking (hence mince and curry usage...

Re beef and veal what do you mean? Are you meaning the 'bad' name of veal? because beef and veal are worlds apart despite being from the same animal whereas mutton is just older lamb.

Rabiit I have probably once a week here as it is very common.

19 November 2008 at 07:18  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

No, the comparison is probably a bit unfair...The comment was that just as Mutton is seen as the poor relation of Lamb...Beef is seen as the poor relation of Veal, therefore Veal is superior. I would not know as I have never tasted it and I know that even meat eaters have problems the way some animals are reared.

I don't know enough about the practice but suspect, it falls into the same problem about how some chickens and hens are raised.

Or birds are force fed so their livers are used in that other dish that I cannot remember the name of.

19 November 2008 at 09:32  

Post a Comment

<< Home