My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Yorkshire Pudding...

How many of you reading this and living outside the UK have ever tried a Yorkshire Pudding? They are as part of the traditional Sunday Lunch associated with the British. You can eat them with your meat and two veg and gravy. You can keep them crunchy or pour gravy into them.

Some people actually put a filling of vegetables and gravy inside of them having turned them upside down so you can you use the hollow inside. Some people have them after their meals as a dessert and put something sweet inside. You can make small ones or large one's.

There is Toad in the hole, that's a Yorkshire Pudding that contains sausages baked into the pudding.

They are easy to make but always welcome...so I attach a link to a recent story that appeared in the media as to how to make a perfect Yorkshire. Go on give it a go! But do take care as you are using hot oil/fat and very hot baking trays. There is much conversation as to what is a perfect Yorkshire Pudding and who makes the best. There is friendly rivalry between those who live in the County of Yorkshire and especially people living in the South of the England.

In the UK we can cheat and when there is only one or persons in the house hold it makes sense not to do your own but buy them ready done(either flat and they cook in the oven and rise or already the right shape and just warmed up for three or four minutes on a baking tray and the remainder put in the freezer until the next time.

A few manufacturer's offer them and most are pretty well OK and they are inexpensive and save lots of time and effort but I tend to stick with the following company Aunt Bessies.

Chemists divine formula for perfect Yorkshire pud

4 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

I'm not a fan of the traditional roast Gildy but I do like Yorkshire puds. Janis made some this weekend that were big enough for small children to sail down the river in.

18 November 2008 at 22:07  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

And I am sure that they were delicious :-)

18 November 2008 at 23:19  
Blogger Span Ows said...

I love Yorkshire puds but I prefer them squidgy, probably mean undercooked but the hard crispier ones don't do anything for me. When I was at school we had a rugby tour up tpo the wilds of Yorkshire and we were 'billeted' amongst the families: they had yorkshire pud as a stand-alone starter before the meal proper...the mum wheeled in a massive pud which was then sliced up and shared out followed by a 'normal' beef dinner.

19 November 2008 at 07:21  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I love a Yorkshire Pudding and as you suggest Span, I am probably more likely to have mine squidgy. Which is easily done by putting a little gravy inside or if they are stood in a varying amount of gravy.

Its been years since I had a large pud, either cut into slices or as an individual one.

I wonder if someone would like to teach youngsters how to make them again with all the talk there is of teaching the public how to cook for themselves?

What's the betting the Government will class them as "Junk" food these days.

Unfortunately, that term is misused and all too often.

19 November 2008 at 09:27  

Post a Comment

<< Home