My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Returning To A Topic I Try To Avoid...

We are probably seeing something that is new to the present population of the World but it's a natural progression of how the Earth and nature will pan out.

I can appreciate that where possible the Human Race does make an impact on our planet and so we should try and manage our resources more carefully as once they are used up, that's it!

But long before the Human Race appeared, the Earth was hotter than it is now and various cycles had to happen to help create the environment that we know now.

All through this planet's history species have died out and become extinct or had to adapt naturally or by choice to try and survive. The Human Race is no different.

We can prolong our time here but turning off a few lights and doing a few other power related energy saving things will make little if any difference in the end.


Much of the carbon problem is caused by nature itself, I heard a very interesting programme on the BBC about how trees and the first Forrest's had an effect on the environment, I have heard others and you realise this is nothing new in what is happening.

And some recent articles(In respected magazines)show that in the great scheme of things events will take place that we can have no chance of reversing, at best we can delay what the future holds. And what scientists suggest will happen, I have thought and said for decades without any training in scientific matters as many Sci-Fi authors have in books and films over the years.

Ten Ways The World Will End

Sun's Protective 'Bubble' Is Shrinking

Moving The Earth: A Planetary Survival Guide

4 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Hear hear Gildy...I agree entirely. The great problem I have at present is the blatant way governments are going about making money out of this. Fuck 'en all!

(sorry, delete that if you wish).

31 October 2008 at 23:40  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

No, Span...that's an honest opinion. I'm afraid to some extent all political parties across the world have forgotten the main purpose of why they are there.

Also, many of their policies come out of the fact(and I think I have said this before)and I think I have read it on your blog too...pressure groups and media pushing an agenda.

You can argue which pressure group or idea is the right one to take up but often it will be the wrong one only because it is the most vocal. Said often enough the public will often believe it.

The most vulnerable of society will be hurt the most.

I'm sorry if I repeat myself, I sometimes forget where I say things but British Gas ran an ad campaign showing how to save energy and the ad agency decided to concentrate on featuring children/teenagers.

Well, naturally any child watching will take notice.

Probably they will pester their parents and they'll take on what they see.

And two scenes stick out in my mind...one shows at the end of the ad, a child walking out of a supermarket and throwing a switch and plunging the store into darkness and the other shows children lining up to use a public toilet at school and someone others are handing out one square of toilet paper to each child.

There are some home truths regarding the world that if said would cause great offence and would probably get many politicians a negative response and for the same reasons many ordinary people keep their mouths shut.

In doing so others read that as them agreeing with their point of view but they could be the silent majority.

1 November 2008 at 04:47  
Blogger Paul said...

I think we have to remember that we are only custodians of the planet and that we pass it on to the next generation when we die. There are a great many things wrong with the planet caused by human beings but many occur naturally.

Just up the road from me, about 400 yards away, the forest is being slowly cleared and the land returned to its natural state - heathland. The forest only exists because landowners thought it would look nice 100 years ago. Times change, people change, ideas change but we only have one planet and we must look after it. This isn't a rehersal this is life.

2 November 2008 at 15:46  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Paul,
I'm sure that quite a few things could be done where we could reverse our footprint on the planet and help redress the balance and something like you mention is the kind of project I think I could support.

Countries like the UK can probably do many such projects if the will exists.

Those who are pushing for change and often causing problems have a habit of turning good intentions into something that people who might be swung by their arguments to turn against them. Even though such incidents as reported on the news are done for publicity purposes.

It will be difficult for countries the size of Canada and the USA to go backwards. If just because of the size of the country and how much it spreads out.

And yet even large ciuties like New York has some kind of system from the power plant that supplies the electric also supplying the central heating to many of the buildings so on some things they are ahead.

It's still being talked about as an idea in many places in the UK.

2 November 2008 at 23:21  

Post a Comment

<< Home