My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Friday, October 10, 2008

It's Those Bulbs Again...

The report may be flawed and newspapers can cherry pick(maybe we all do)to make our point and support our beliefs. After all it's been said for years that you can skew statistics so they'll say what you wish them to.

But once again questions are being asked about the suitability of the new energy saving light bulbs that are being forced upon us to save the environment as the traditional light bulbs are being phased out.

Taking your choice away.

Once again questions are raised about how you dispose of them(they contain mercury)the same problems are coming to light(no pun intended)regarding the effects on the health of the population having to use them from the point of view of the effect on eyesight and possible causes of headaches and migraine and now the possibility in some case of skin cancer. Though who would sit as close as an inch to a light bulb for hours is questionable.

But most studies that scientists carry out on any subject always look at all eventualities even the most extreme and unlikely scenarios that probably would not happen. Just as when you buy a product say like a packet of salted peanuts it will probably state(in case the company is sued)"May contain nuts!"

It's understandable if you are buying a food product not normally connected to nuts and they warn that the production process or factory may have had nuts in the area of the building that may contaminate some food unconnected with nuts and therefore put someone with a dislike or allergy against nuts becoming seriously ill but not when they are the very product you would avoid and there are in big letters across the packet saying "Nuts!" and pictures of what's inside(which may help those who have difficulty reading)because they are unable to or are in another country and cannot read or write in that language.

I wonder if any statistics or information exists about whether all or how many countries across the world are adopting or plan to switch to the new low energy light bulbs in the coming years?

As I said earlier I had 4 of the new light bulbs sent to me by our supplier of gas(and in the article above)someone comments that they received 8 bulbs from the same company(wonder why we only received 4)and the one's we received were of the lowest wattage possible when if as we are told they are a much dimmer softer light we really could do with them being of a higher wattage to try and give us the equivalent of the traditional light bulb and 40 and 60 watt in the new light bulbs may be far too low.

I probably should try out the bulbs(How can I judge if I have not tried them myself)but do you know that so far I have had no inclination to and that maybe shows a blinkered attitude.

Perhaps I'll try one over the weekend. And see what the fuss is about. I have been chosen and I forgot to add this by the local authority at random(they say)to fulfill a Government directive that I answer an energy survey regarding how energy efficient my home is.

Considering it's a local authority house and that they installed over the last 10 years or so double glazing, cavity wall insulation, heating system and so...that should be known already. Why ask me and one set of questions is stupid in that it asks if any of these ideas were installed within the last 18 months...no it was done earlier than that and if you say no it makes it look as though the improvements have not been done as there is no space to add extra information but if you say yes that is wrong too.

Also they ask in the survey do you have any energy saving light bulbs installed. What will they do/say if I say no...as if I find I hate them I will avoid installing any for as long as possible. I am tired of these silly surveys.

I am not saying that climate change is not happening or sticking my head in the sand trying to ignore that the Earth may be going through changes. But it always has gone through cycles. What happened in the past has resulted in the diversity of plant and life forms that exist on the Earth as we know it and has equally resulted in the extinction of various lifeforms over the millions of years the Earth has existed.

And whilst it's understandable we want to preserve our species as long as we can, it is not our right to believe that Humans will inhabit the Earth forever. And from what scientists know of the universe one day the Earth will be destroyed whatever "We" do. At best we can extend how long we exist on the Earth. And it's also likely other life forms will dominate the planet as probably was the case before Humans were part of the scene.

The energy-saving light bulbs that could leave you red-faced

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home