My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Almost An Expensive Day...

Posted by Picasa

The best laid plans rarely work out that way...

I awoke to a dull, grey, wet, cold day and so my planned day of tasks started later than planned. But I went over to the Dr's surgery and put my prescription in for my drugs which I hope will be ready for collection in a couple of days time. The queue for the flu jab was very small...not sure it could really be called a queue.

I was in the surgery at 10.50am and already finished by 11am.

I called in at the local shopping centre and on the off chance called in the charity shop and found another book in the series by the well known TV cookery star Delia Smith in great condition and again with a big saving(it was cheaper than the book I purchased a week ago)so in the series of three I now have book one and three. Lets hope book two surfaces. But I am especially pleased with another book that gives recipes for different dishes using the humble potato and I can see me really going to town with this particular book. Plenty of recipe ideas now but probably not enough time to cook everything :-)

I went for my shopping at the supermarket and then home(the best bit)I was out a little too long.

On a day like this, the exploration of the new Co-operative Store will have to wait.

I managed to get my odds and sods to make my pantry store of essentials more complete and some items that I may hang onto for Christmas such as a jar of Cranberry Sauce with Orange Zest and Brandy. I replaced some items that are now out of date and were not totally used after opening such as tomato puree(this time I purchased a tube rather than a jar)and I also found a tube of garlic puree, some extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, various oils for frying and the usual things like soup, baked beans, bread and milk. Fruit, vegetables and salad stuff. Fresh fish.
When there is only one of you or at best two the worst thing is having to try and use some items up within the time they allow once it is opened. Yesterday, I had to throw out almost a full jar of Tomato puree and today a jar of shredded Beetroot.

A simple meal tonight...Salmon fillets, mashed potato and peas.

So why a photo of my mobile phone at the start of my blog entry?

Everything was packed for me at the check out by the person who usually goes out of her way to help and is very pleasant. Unfortunately, when putting the bags into my shopping trolley she moved my jacket a bit to quickly and out the pocket went my mobile phone crashing to the floor. Not a floor with carpet but a hard floor. Luckily, it fell flat and the back hit the floor. I checked it out and found no cracks or dents in the case(I don't believe there is any)maybe I should have another look to be sure.

It's still working as I managed to order my taxi so I think we've got off lightly but I wasn't very happy. I'm not one for causing bother or making un-necessary claims against companies or people but if it had stopped working(and I hope it doesn't suddenly happen later on)I wonder where I would've stood regarding getting it fixed/compensation?

Well, I'll make certain next time the pocket is zipped up or I have it on my person.

Up on returning home the dreaded gas bill was waiting for me and with the recent horror stories about utility prices going up in the economic climate(I was ready for an expensive bill)it's not cheap and still expensive. We've not had the central heating on as much as usual but being ready for a bill of £200+ for the quarter, I was amazed to find it came in at around £86. More than a pleasant surprise but I suspect the really expensive bill will be the electric bill, as you need electric power to drive the pump that moves the water around the system to the radiators and of course the electric keeps the computer, TV, lights, cooker etc...running.

But if that arrives too and the telephone bill which it will...we'll be left alone until 2009.

Much as I hate the new energy saving light bulbs we are being forced to use and the traditional one's are being phased out, I purchased some today on the buy one, get one free offer. They are the best energy saving rated type and were only £1 each(US$1.75274/Euro1.28620)with the free one's thrown in that made them only 50p each(US$0.875971/Euro 0.642965)

The free pack of four, sent as a gesture of good will by British Gas were the equivelant of 60Watt and 40Watt bulbs. I managed to get a couple which offer the equivalent of 100Watt(again the free one's from British Gas were not that bright)I also found some that resemble a candle and fit my bedside lamp. Unfortunetely I use 60watt and these are 40watt but at 50p(and only buying two)if they are no good or too dull I won't feel cheated.

And I still plan to buy a stockpile of the older traditional types before they are phased out. Climate change or no climate change.

And as for me? I'm about to try and have a rest as it's been a long day...My eyes are starting to close.

2 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

...as I wrote below...SHOPPING! EWE shouldn't give the girl's a hard time...shopping is a great healer! ;-)

10 October 2008 at 17:41  
Blogger Span Ows said...

sorry...that should say 'WE', I wasn't doing the sheep joke 'you' (Ewe)

10 October 2008 at 17:42  

Post a Comment

<< Home