My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, October 25, 2008

As The Economy Takes A Downturn...

I don't suppose it does any harm to take a look at your budget and try to reduce your expenditure. Many newspapers come up with articles suggesting how this can be done and often they are impractical. Some of the tips in the following article seem that way to me but there are some worth considering, it's not so bad if you can adapt the tips to suit your own individual or family situation.

One I have been considering for some time even if I just do it once to say "That I Can!" and yet I don't want to go to the expense of buying a machine to do it and then have it sit there unused, is to make my own bread.

In general it seems easy to do but time consuming but the recipe in the article below(Tip 11)I think I could just possibly get away with it...and with my interest in cooking and food in general, I may just give it a try. When I am unsure. I have to do some shopping later today so who knows maybe I'll do it this weekend. I have some flour so all I need is some yeast. It would also appear that I do not require a tin to put the dough but I suppose I could consider purchasing one.

If any of you decide to follow any of the tips...good luck!

20 ways to save your money and health

Why stop there, you may wish to consider making your own soups, it's easy and again I am thinking of having a go myself...there are many sites on the net where you can find such a variety of recipes. But you may like to look at the three simple one's mentioned in the link below.

Soup is so cheap and tasty and easily found in the local supermarket it would be understandable just to pick a few cans off the shelves but there may be some pride if you can say "I made that!" And you know what is in the bowl. You also can control the salt and sugar content. And add various ingredients that may not be in the soups offered in the shops thus putting your own personality on the meal.

Soup up your immune system

5 Comments:

Blogger broadcastellan said...

That was one of the first things that came to mind when I thought of the recession: to make our own bread. Rather than saving money, the idea is to become more self-sufficient. Then again, does our reliance on electricity make us more independent?

25 October 2008 at 10:44  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Thanks Harry,
It is true that some of the food we decide to cook(unless using a microwave oven)you could argue that you save on the cost of the food but not necessarily in the long run because of what we will pay for the electric or gas that powers the oven and many recipes that take hours to cook.

And bread and soup are two choices that take a long time in all the recipes I have ever found.

As I write this we await a utility bill from our electric supplier and whilst surprised having been told to expect massive hikes in the price of electric and gas(amazingly the gas for the quarter was low)but I know the electric will be high.

If I switch on the gas heating the water is pumped around the system via an electric pump.

I cannot see how we can save much more unless I sit in the dark, stay in bed, avoid using my computer and tv/cd/radio equipment and be quite miserable.

So we probably are reliant on using electric. Years ago we probably would've used and been allowed to cook using coal or wood as the fuel of choice.

Cheers...

25 October 2008 at 11:39  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Souper ;-)

I make soup all the time, mainly because I use/don't waste everything and my most-used appliance if the blender...gazpacho is sooooo good

31 October 2008 at 23:37  
Blogger Paul said...

Gildy I've stopped buying a newspaper every day - The Times in now 80p and the Independent £1. I just buy twice a week and two papers at the weekend. Having so many papers online from around the world the only thing I miss is the touch of the paper - that human interaction with the printed page.

2 November 2008 at 15:48  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I've left comment on your blog regarding this Paul.

As I mentioned the cost of electric and gas and in the context of cooking/climate change from Harry's original comment, I will say that considering the bad newsbeing reported in the press and by broadcasters...the bill arrived and was lower than expected.

I'd love it to be even less but it fell well within acceptable parameters. I suspect the one for Winter will not but any saving is welcome.

Once the phone bill and home insurance is paid we are ok until next year :-)

6 November 2008 at 02:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home