My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, October 02, 2008

Sausage Casserole...

Posted by Picasa


Maybe the unused food could have been frozen and used for another meal (but I do not have theroom in the freezer to store it)but once the ingredients were added to the dish, I decided that there was more than enough in the casserole so my plan to add baked beans and have a less root vegetable based casserole was changed. I had some turnip and carrot to use up and that took up the extra space...to add the beans would just mean more un-necessary waste.

So my sausage casserole contained...
Turnip, carrot, new potatoes, sliced mushrooms, onion and green pepper.
And naturally, pork sausages cut into pieces(having been browned first)
And a kind of stock mixed into water and added to the ingredients. Then cooked in the oven for an hour.

It looked and tasted better after it was cooked. I was amazed how the ingredients merged with the liquid stock that was added and how what seemed like a small amount of stock seemed to double in size. There was nothing left, everything was eaten. I will do it again and switch ingredients around. Unfortunately, my Mum decided that she does not like turnip and carrot and too much vegetable in general and would've preferred a bowl of a fairly plain soup.

She is usually a reasonably good eater and enjoys most things that are served up for a meal and claims not to be a fussy eater. But recently a couple of times she has admitted not to liking some of the new dishes I have tried.

Well, you cannot make someone like what they do not and I suppose it's unfair to make someone eat what they do not care for. A casserole is a bit like a thick vegetable soup. And she has since said that the actual meal was good and she wasn't being critical.

At least I am finding more than ever how easy it is to cook and I can manage a variety of meals. Occasionally, I guess I will have to do different meals for each of us so I can still have some of the new meals I have in my repertoire.

2 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Yep...a few tomatoes wouldn't go amiss as they break down and add to the look and the taste.

Beans would be great too...maybe your mum would have prefered it with beans :-)

Try it without adding stock - of course you need enough water and ingredients to make up the liquid even though most will be evaporated off.

4 October 2008 at 11:49  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Span,
All suggestions gratefully received ;-)

I always knew I guess that cooking is as easy or difficult as you wish to make it and it really comes down to what budget you have to work with.

It's been too easy just to stick to simple meals...the usual beans on toast,mixed grills, basic salads and I suppose the Sunday Lunch.

But there is so much more out there.

I hope and it may be because of eating less and having smaller portions that if my income reduces drastically I will always be able to eat well and experience all the foods I enjoy and continue to eat healthily.

Even fancy fare does not have to take ages to prepare, there is so much help available.

We have at present thanks to organisations like the United Nations and individual Governments, pressure groups etc...a contradiction in the advice we are being given as to what we should be doing with our diet.

At the risk of repeating myself under the guise of climate change a new report suggests that rationing will be introduced again...and we will find dairy farming reduced.

That we will only be allowed a certain amount of milk each day and approx 3 small portions of meat per week.

This could also tie in with the campaigns regarding the obesity of the world's populations(or should tha be in the Western World)and is that the real reason.

Why do they not admit that it could be that the World's Human populations are too large for the Earth's resources and the possible cycle that the Earth is going through whether we are responsible or not?

Do we need to be forced to ration what we eat? Well, we were probably healthier eating basic food during the World Wars and when rationing was an every day event.

And being told eat less meat and dairy produce surely flies in the face of the advice we have always been told. There are even disadvantages to growing vegetables if you follow the climate change idea. Everything has.

The truth being that we do have a habit of serving up much larger meals today and walk away from the table feeling stuffed.

You do have to wonder if there is another agenda at work...

I know I am eating less than I used to but what I eat is good.

But I am getting all the vitimins and minerals from what I do eat.

4 October 2008 at 16:35  

Post a Comment

<< Home