My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, August 23, 2008

What Are You Doing At This Time Of Day?

Rhetorical Question...

As I start this entry it is around 3am BST and I would usually be trying to sleep. I love to sleep. However, from previous entries over many months, I have been mentioning my on going illness.

Which means for a variety of reasons I do not necessarily sleep through the night and I tend to get sleep when I feel I can and rest when it's appropriate for me. So it could and often is better to do so during the day. This could be due to the condition and the effort to get around or the fact that I am on very strong drugs to control, sustain or attempt to halt/slow the condition.

Today, well yesterday now, I awoke with two bloodshot eyes, last week at the weekend I had double vision. It's all different and varies from day to day. And of course, I have to get comfortable regarding any new problem.

Each and every day is different and another reason for taking it easy and laying down(even if not trying to sleep)is that I can get more comfortable with that hernia and let things slip into their right position which walking around does not allow. Sorry if that's graphic. I still plan to have that fixed but unless something happens as an emergency, I want to see one problem controlled first before dealing with another.

Who wants an operation? And having one is a big strain on any one's system so when you have kidney disease...not forgetting the worries in the UK about catching some hospital bug that can kill or cause other complications?

No, it's restricted my life further but I can put up with that.

However, my reason for being up at this time of the day is due to medication...

Once a week I have to take a tablet that helps protect my bones from thinning due to the cocktail of drugs I am on.

The directions state that I have to sit or stand upright for an hour after I take it. You must not take any other medication for at least an hour afterwards.

Then if you wish to lay down, you have to eat something preferably a meal. To avoid reflux.

So I had been getting up early maybe at 7am to take my pill and by the time I follow this regime, it can get around to 10am or later and that's if I manage to be awake at 7am otherwise I am hanging around so long, it's lunchtime. It's a wasted morning.

So I have reversed all that and started a new idea which does not suggest the effects of the medication has been reduced.

I take the tablet between 3am-4am, then my next medication(which again has to be taken an hour before food)and then have something to eat around 5am and then turn in to rest or try and sleep. It seems to make more sense. Then I can spread the rest of my medication across the day.

Thank heavens there is usually something to listen to in the background thanks to the radio...a documentary or a news story to help the time pass by.

So now I'm thinking about what to have for my early, early Breakfast.

Update:What did I have? A bacon buttie with lettuce, tomato and some diced onion.

That may be all I'll have until lunchtime, we'll see...

And now to bed :-)

4 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

Blimey Gildy you must be knackered (pardon by French). I'm really sorry that you can't have a hernia operation at the moment but I suppose there has to be a pay-off between your current condition and the chance that it could get worse through no fault of your own.

You take care.

23 August 2008 at 14:41  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Thanks Paul,
The worst time is Saturday when I take that pill...and it's only once a week.

As for the hernia, they are so common I don't like to go about it as though I am the only one but it does affect daily life. It has a life of it's own and you never know if it will decide to behave or not. :-)

I do think its changed since I first noticed it some months ago, it's a nuisance. You keep hoping that you might getaway without having the operation.

Its not so bad if you are allowed to adapt to your own situation but it's when you have to deal with Government departments and fill in forms etc...that's when it gets difficult.

Its the old "You can look ok" but "no one knows what's going on inside"

I should add that as I think of others like who you mentioned on your blog, I realise that others are suffering and going through their own personal hell so I tend to play down my own problems.

Away from my blog I tend to just accept matters and get on with it. I don't really talk about it.

Thanks for your good wishes...always appreciated.

23 August 2008 at 21:23  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Ditto the good wishes. I often have trouble sleeping but for very differnet reesons - my poor systems often don't know what time zone they're in and so hunger/meal times and sleep are adversly effected. I bring a lot of it on myself as I organise most of my own trips!!

1 September 2008 at 18:45  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

There is nothing to suppose that this will stop the tablet working...I have suddenly tried staying up until 2am and then taking it as I have not eaten since 6pm/7pm the night before. Then after the hour you are supposed to give for it to take effect, I have something to eat and go to bed or lay down at least.

Then, if I wake at say 7am or later I take my other pills. And I have almost claimed my night back and avoided remaining up all night.

As for yoyur mixed up body clock Span, I guess crossing different time zones and trying to arrange flights at reasonable prices will mean looking at times that are not available at peak times.

I hope it does not mess you up too much...

3 September 2008 at 01:15  

Post a Comment

<< Home