My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Drinking Eight Glasses Of Water A Day Is Healthy, Right? Wrong.

I would like to quote sometimes from newspaper articles but the difficulty is knowing how much you are allowed to so it's easier to link and make comments. However from a variety of sources over some months articles have been appearing that question the long held belief about how much water you should drink daily to maintain a healthy body. Something I myself have questioned.

It is being realised that "So called experts" perhaps with their own agenda of making a career of appearing on tv and radio and having people attend their clinics and push ideas that can earn them a lot of money you have to try and decide if what you are being told is common sense or advice that could harm. Recently, another newspaper contacted a number of online sites offering dietry advice and some were way off the mark and others were almost correct in what they said but still left much to be desired.

I promised that I would put up some links to some stories that I believe and seem like common sense to me. Now, if I can just remember the other links...I may have to post them later.

It's easy not to realise that other drinks other than water can refresh the system and that some fluid is gained from foods that you eat.

Coffee and Tea is not necessarily bad for you and can be included in your daily intake.

Your body will only use what it needs and if you keep nipping off to the loo to relieve yourself, that's your body saying, I have too much water and I need to get rid of it.

The colour and density of your urine is a clue. Another way to see if you are dehydrated is to see if you have water retention(swollen ankles/legs etc...)and by pressing your ankles, if the depressions comes out immediately you are probably OK, if it stays depressed probably not so good. Your kidneys are struggling.

Another quick test? Pinch the skin on your forearm and let go. If the skin goes back quickly you are OK, if it returns slowly and is not so elasticated, you probably need to drink a little more fluid. I would suggest that it's better to drink slowly and spread your fluid intake across the day rather than as tempting as it is to swallow as much as possible, as quickly as you can and swamp the system and have it try to cope. Doing so could cause an imbalance of the chemicals that regulate your body's functions.

Water

4 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Good psot Gildy...my answer to the question posed?...wrong! In many cases too much water (and sometimes a lot less than 8 glasses) is bad for you...depends who you are, where you are and what you're doing!...plus too much water can kill you ( you drown...hehehe)

Very true re the urine...charts are available for easy comparisons. All the travelling etc i do means I probably take in more water tahn most and sometimes it's well over the 8 glasses a day; now I'm in a freezing Chile and drinking a whole lot less.

...great word verification again...

dqapipi (a pee pee)

20 August 2008 at 15:53  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

You get around Span ;-)

Never know where you'll pop up next but thank you for always looking in, I do read your blog too and there is always something of interest to think about.

Who would've thought of Chile being cold? Is that normal? Is it a bit like Australia their seasons are opposite to Europe or because of it being below the equator? Or maybe the continent is just so large there are variations depending on where you are.

20 August 2008 at 16:28  
Blogger Paul said...

Too much water puts too much pressure on the kidneys which can lead to problems down that road. I used to believe the old stories about eight glasses a day but as long as your skin isn't dry then you are probably hydrated enough.

Dominic Lawson wrote a piece in the Independent a while back stating that his own doctor never drinks water, he insists that you get enough fluid from tea, fruit and through food which has a high water content.

I drink enough to keep me hydrated and it seems to work.

20 August 2008 at 18:33  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Paul,
I probably still drink too much bI like my tea, coffee, water and whatever else. I suppose the trick is to pace yourself and they say it's better to drink slowly and using water as an example sip it rather than gulping great amounts down.

Maybe it's a habit we get into and if someone is making a cuppa it's tempting to have one and it's ok to drink more if everything is working well but if things are starting to fail, you adapt. I make a similar point about meat in a blog entry called Small Portions later on.

I think there is something in what that Dr suggests.

And yes I do sometimes get water retention so there is a clue that I could be drinking to excess.

3 September 2008 at 01:26  

Post a Comment

<< Home