My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Friday, August 22, 2008

More Delays...

My town has always been classed as the jewel in the crown in this area and community charges have been high accordingly because of its status. If any big even such an election has to be counted and shown on National media, it will be counted here.

And yet from blog entries you know the farce our town centre has turned into and even when we eventually saw a redevelopment starting to take place and we secured a large Tesco's, it has ground to a halt.(behind the scenes that may not be so)but publicly it seems so.

At present we seem to be tied into the winding up of the local council's and the commencement of a unitary council that will be run from Durham City. And social housing stock being transferred whether you want it or not. I disliked either option but had to choose one otherwise my vote would be lost.

I am still unsure that I made the right choice. But it appears those voted took the same option.
I would guess with all the changes over the next few years the work to bring things up to date will be delayed further and be moved down the list of priorities.

There is a town approx 4 miles away that has seen better days and been neglected, the Tindale area on the outskirts of Bishop Auckland. It could be that this proposal will come to nothing but I have a feeling that this could be built or set in motion before we see our own completed and it could affect who may decide to come here to take up any empty retail units. They may decide they would rather locate in Bishop Auckland.

A local free sheet has as it's main headline article a proposal to use part of what was once an industrial estate...it includes a new Sainsbury's supermarket, a multi-complex cinema, a ten pin bowling alley, a new football stadium for the local team and more, if planning permission is forthcoming it does look as though the people behind the idea have solid support. The article came across as though it is likely to happen.

My town has been after some big venue to stage public events for decades and still cannot attract any well known names to invest.

And the latest news suggests that the name that was in the frame to take the empty Sommerfield Supermaket retail unit(Wilkinsons) is having second thoughts according to some stories in the local press.

It's not looking good.

The fountain of all local knowledge(Taxi Drivers)was discussing it with me today and his take is that my town though said to be important has "always been screwed and given a bad deal by the local politicians" and perhaps the change of how and where everything will be done in future may work to our advantage...

I hope so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home