My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Waste Not, Want Not...

Anyway you can prolong and save the Earth's resources has to be a good thing and so to suggest eating less and more healthily and reduce the throwing away of food waste holds some merit but to be lectured to by our Prime Minister is patronising.

And we know full well that it is highly unlikely that many of those in the Government will be walking around the local shops or supermarket where most of the UK's population do their weekly shop. And there's an explanation straight away...

In the "Old" days...the male was out working, "The" wife or partner was at home home often not working but if she held a job she would also be out having to buy the food and preparing the meals as well as keeping the home running.

Now time is for many tight...for many it is a case of hopping into a car and going to a large supermarket and doing a weekly shop. You are(even if you have a plan of what you need)trying to gauge what you think you will eat for the next 7 days. Food is different and much of it is treated to give it a longer shelf life. Having promoted the of eating healthy and fresh produce more to avoid obesity, we are also changing what we choose to eat so "Chilled" food has become more popular than frozen even though frozen has many benefits associated with it. Again, chilled will not have as long a life as canned or a frozen meal.

To cover themselves legally, many products require a Best Before or Use By Date. In reality, you probably can eat items if properly stored after that date by a couple of days without any risk to your health whatsoever but many in this day and age will see a date on something or read that it has to be used within 48 hours opening and throw it out even though it is perfectly safe to use after the date. I've started to allow a little bit of give and take on whether I eat something after the date and so far...so good. I use my sense of sight and taste. Others(can also add smell to that)

We also have something that our parents/grand parents maybe did not have that changes things and that's access to a fridge and/or freezer. Years ago all you had was a a pantry usually with a kind of stone shelf that was coldish. Or you had in the early days of using ice to keep things cold, a person actually calling with a block of ice.

In telling the rest of us how we should shop and what we should do to cut down on waste, the Government should've realised that someone, somewhere would try and see how Government departments fare regarding being wasteful. In the past when they've told us to switch our lights off and use less power, Government buildings have had lights on all night in offices which are empty and computers and other office equipment has been left running and again, figures have been obtained by the median and the Shadow cabinet regarding how much food is thrown away and whilst some figure have been found, others suggest that the waste is massive but no records have been kept.

Such figures have been quoted on radio and TV news bulletins but having looked through many newspapers online today I am having difficulty finding an appropriate article to link to. The best I can do at present is the following which does have a little piece on Government waste. I will change things later when possible.

There are plenty of articles about Supermarket waste which may be fair or unfair depending on the stance of the newspapers concerned and who is being quoted(whether they belong to some pressure group)or some organisation with an interest in the food industry.

Another aspect being criticised is the fact that food is too cheap. That is relevant to how much income you have coming in. I'd love to live on luxury food and afford the very best but as my income will never be that high I want to know and hope that I can get reasonably high quality food(not junk)at a price that I can afford and again, officials in power that are earning high salaries can afford to say avoid cheap produce but I'm afraid, if I can be offered food that offers quality and taste and hopefully keeps me fit and healthy and prices are kept low, I will go for it every time.

An example would be that the Buy One Get One Free wastes food because you are unable to eat all that you buy. Possibly but it is a way for some families to get more for their money and means it halves the amount spent and if you have a family it's more likely you will use everything and not throw it out. Obviously, if you live alone or there are only a couple of you
it's commonsense that you probably will not manage to avoid some waste. To stop such offers on a blanket basis seems unfair. If you have family or friends or a neighbour you know well perhaps you can share such an offer or spread the cost between you.

And again on the radio we've been hearing today of some meeting that had officials from Government advising us to tighten our belts and avoid food waste etc...and then they've all sat down to an eighteen course banquet of the best and most expensive food imaginable.

What's that saying? Do as I say, not as I do?

Supermarkets are urged to bin the wasteful BOGOFs

World leaders enjoy 18-course banquet

3 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

"Summit that's hard to swallow - world leaders enjoy 18-course banquet as they discuss how to solve global food crisis" ... Classic!

In some places in south america they still have the ice shop where you can go and get huge blocks from a central 'store' - mainly used for parties to keep all the booze cold or, also in my case, keeping vaccines for sevral days when vaccinated widespread herds: but still used by many for food preservastion; it's incredible how long they last when looked after properly.

10 July 2008 at 14:52  
Blogger Paul said...

Why do we need global conferences anyway - what's wrong with a video conference?

I agree about Bogof's - too much food gets wasted. As for the best before debate I have a client whose daughter is reponsible for shipping fruit around the world and it's just too depressing. Much as I like to see the Mapuche people of Chile earning a living I'd much rather eat a decent English apple than one that has spent months in a container making its way from Valpariso to Tilbury.

14 July 2008 at 18:23  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I'll happily support local suppliers and I have found(if money was no object)some great websites that offer wonderful food but it is a little out of my price range.

Whilst I am able I will continue to buy the best I can afford and vary my diet.

The worry is that I may find my situation will change and find that I have to actually alter my diet and find my income decreases which could mean where I am doing all I can to keep myself well could be reversed because some Government appointed expert/agency says you're fine.

It's happened before. I had to fight for many years for the help I receive now.

I would say that food though I have always loved it, means much more to me. It is my luxury. And probably what I spend most of my money on.

17 July 2008 at 15:34  

Post a Comment

<< Home