My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Wednesday, May 07, 2008

You Can Be Too Precious And...

I know it's not important but...

When I go out and shop to try and avoid having to make un-necessary trips and to make food etc...last as long as possible I look for the latest dates on milk and bread etc...and obviously use those with the latest dates last.

So it gets a little annoying to find my Mum often just goes into a cupboard or the fridge and takes any item out and doesn't check the dates.

Today as an example, There is a loaf of bread with a date of May 9th and another with the date of May 7th so guess which one gets opened?

And the bag is just torn open making it difficult to seal up what remains in the wrapper.

It's not worth getting worked up over but it now means that you are trying to use both the old and new alongside each other as once the newer loaf is open and air has got in its starting to go stale.

You can imagine the problem when the same thing happens with milk.

I can explain the situation and think it won't happen again but within a few days, I just know it happen again.

Do I sound mean?

3 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

hahaha, no Gildy, you sound very sensible! I get terribly irritated when things like that happen.

As an aside and anecdote, in my latest spate of travels (not back yet but nearly...in Paris back later today then off again next week! (knackered!)...anyway...I stayed a few days with family in the rural MidWest USA and one day we had 'tea'...all looked lovely and they got out all sorts of sauces and relishes...one was Branston pickle with about a third of the jar left...being addicted to it I spread some and commented that it looked very dry and to be that dry must be very old (they said they hadn't tried it for a while)...I looked at the lid...use by May...2002!!!! Jeez, that would have upset the old tummy.

8 May 2008 at 10:08  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Looking at the dates I've given on the bread this time it's not too bad but on the milk situation I've known me have dates upto 8 to 10 days ahead and one of those be opened whilst one with only a day or two on it remains un-used.

I'll even risk not sticking to dates if I'm only a day or two over. I mean they say when you open a packet of ham or bacon use within two days which is fine if all you are going to eat is nothing but ham or bacon and follow the must use within two days, you'll throw some away. If its in a fridge at a correct temperature and reasonably proetected, you'll be fine.

The amount of cheese that gets thrown out is the biggest problem. As usually unless you buy small amounts off the deli counter(and there is no date on that)it's always in a big chunk.

At least the birds enjoy anything that is unused bread,fruit and cheese.

Now as to your Branston Pickle...oh dear...glad you spotted that before you started into it...we all find something that is out of date at some point in the cupboard.

We're pretty good regarding not wasting food. But a big report has been issued today with some alarming statistics of how families waste lots of food. Though it contains a lot of Government spin as it's prepared by a Government Agency or department.

Wishing you a safe journey(hope you manage to get some rest between trips)

G

8 May 2008 at 16:17  
Blogger Paul said...

No you're not mean Gildy and in your reply to Span's post I'd say you were just like me when it comes to dates.

As for a personal story on food and dates, when the 2002 World Cup was on I decided that each night of the tournament we would cook a meal that was traditional in one of the competing countries. When it came to South Korea we were to have water chestnuts with chicken or lamb. Anyway cooked the meal and put the unused water chestnuts away and forgot about them. Six months later rediscover the can, open the lid and its like a cross between Dr.Who and a science project in there - I'm sure the greenish blue mould was moving.

10 May 2008 at 17:38  

Post a Comment

<< Home