My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, April 19, 2008

My Postal Vote Has Arrived...

Now, which two candidates should be awarded my "X" on my ballot paper? I suspect I'll choose one that I voted for a year ago and if my memory is correct I will vote for the same person as my second choice.

I have a list of eleven names to choose from. Most I have absolutely no idea who they are but suddenly they are all asking for my vote.

We have two that live outside of the ward that they wish to represent. By that I mean they live in another town. Then again, because the number of candidates being reduced, I assume the location of the wards have been redrawn so candidates that would not have been able to represent certain wards now find that they can because they come within a certain boundary. If that isn't a case, some have just thought lets put our names forward and hope we are successful. Seems a bit of a mess to be honest.

Six are Independents representing none of the main political parties of the UK. Two Labour, One Conservative and two Lib-Dems.

Out of the new names one is/was married to(I don't know her current marital status)an ex freelance radio presenter who was reasonably popular on local commercial radio maybe thirty years ago(and years ago was involved in some of the Government training schemes)You know the kind where you obtained a few qualifications and were farmed out to companies who used such people as cheap labour to help their own companies but though the applicant worked the same hours as everyone else, they only received their benefit entitlement and usually at the end of the given contract the worker signed on again and did not see a permanent job created. And often found after a few years, they were back on another course again and being seen by the same agency.

Another one I am unsure what he does for a living but I remember him from 30 years ago as having just left school and being on the old CB Radio's of the late 1980's and we kind of had a period where a few of us met up on and off the air.

After that, it's just names. I will make a decision and use my vote though.

The local free sheet has at the centre of the front page a picture and article showing the local MP welcoming a Government Minister who came to see the work required to regenerate the area. Just at the time of the election and our MP thanks him for taking time out of his busy schedule to visit. As a local Government Minister I would hope this is part of his remit at any time. And what is happening here is replicated across many parts of the UK.

There has been little in the way of any information from candidates coming through the door for this election than most over recent years and though it's early days, some have not issued anything at all. Perhaps they'll do so in the final days leading up to election day but that delay could mean my postal vote is filled in and already sent so they'll lose out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home