My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Oh, Dr I'm In Trouble...

Well, Goodness Gracious Me...(reference to an old comic song performed by Peter Sellers and Sophia Loren for anyone unfamiliar)

Well, I'll try and keep things reasonably brief. I saw my Consultant today...well, not exactly. My Consultant popped in to see me and discuss my condition and treatment. I was however, seen by a Dr who works within my Consultant's department and with him. I assume. He had to check what treatment I should be given and both discussed between them the correct course to take. The Dr may be being trained to become a consultant himself and may for all I know in time takeover some of my Consultant's workload.

He was very pleasant and polite. He shook hands upon us entering the examination room and when leaving(I understand as he left the hospital and walked past my Mum who was with me)he crossed his fingers and gave her a smile. He also throughout being given information gave her as much reassurance as any Dr can or would dare to. Of course he cannot say the treatment will work or I'll be cured(no one can say that but they have to understandably be careful of saying something that a patient or relative can come back and sue them.

The upshot is I am back on full treatment. He explained everything so clearly and calmly and detailed(perhaps more than my own Consultant)and as I had looked up the information myself on the internet lately I knew what I was being told matched what I know. He also answered any questions I had.

If I am fortunate...the problem might go away.

If I am fortunate I may have to have treatment and they can stablise the problem and keep it for worsening.

Unfortunately, sometimes no matter what they do they cannot halt the condition and I'd rather not go there. That's the worst case scenario.

My consultant says that I probably will respond and improve and not to panic yet. As it worked before there is every reason to hope it will work again.

My immune system is attacking the kidneys. The longer they leak protein the more damage is caused. So having waited until now hopefully the delay hasn't caused too much damage. Otherwise I'd have wished that I had started sooner.

So it's back on the steroids to try and get rid of the inflamation. Back on the Immune suppresents(to dampen down the part of the immune system that is bad)but this also means the good part is affected so I am likely to catch infections. This particular drug can affect the Liver function so we're playing one organ against another. The immune system is attacking the Kidney's believing it's doing good but it's having the opposite affect. It's a bit like catching a cold or a Flu virus and the body is trying to get rid of it as though it's an infection.

My bones can be affected so I have been given a new tablet that will replace lost Calcium(I have to take that once a week)and when I take it I have to sit upright in a chair for 30 minutes and not lie down. Apparently lieing down can result in it coming back up the gullet and damaging me in some way(a bit like reflux I guess)Otherwise I may get brittle bones and the joints may be affected.

That might explain why over the last period of treatment my legs started to hurt and my knee joints have deteriorated hence my needing a walking cane. So maybe that's why I was given this drug this time. Of course these could be new drugs that were not around back then or available to the NHS.

I have to take 12 steroid tablets and if possible altogether. Morning has been suggested as if taken in the afternoon, I may not get a good night's sleep.

I have another new tablet that must be taken to try and stop any stomach irritation(or the possiblity of ulsers)

And I still have to take my water tablets and blood pressure tablet daily. The water tablets are keeping the retention down by as much as a stone but today when the Dr pressed my legs, there was retention still. But for the past three weeks I have been checking daily and that wasn't a problem. Or so I thought.

For pain I have access to Co-Dydramol.

My diet as yet has not been restricted and for now it is not believed to that will make much if any difference to my loss of protein.

So I suspect if the treatment works I will see an increase in weight, my face will balloon again and I may suffer mood swings.

The good news is that the treatment may/will work...that is the hope.

The blood pressure is good(that is something that is still ok)

I have to drink liquid to take the tablets and enough so I am not thirsty but restrict my intake.

I'm on for another blood test and being seen by my Consultant in a fortnight(but am out in a few minutes hoping to catch my own Dr to tell him what has happened)I haven't an appointment but my Mum has and if I am there my Dr sometimes allows me a few minutes(unofficially)and I'll fill him in as to what has happened.

Now all I can do is wait and see what happens. And remain positive.

Oh and it was Mum's birthday today...what a way to spend it...

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And yet through it all you retain your positive and cheery outlook on life.

Best wishes, Gildy.

21 February 2008 at 16:35  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Thanks Sarnia...
We've been fortunate to have a lovely GP(and the Consultant/Hospital Dr)have been pleasant contary to all the tales you hear.

It shows that there are still some that are more like those remembered as the "Family" Dr and friend.

My Dr knows Mum is worried and so today he talked very reassuredly with her to ease her and as we left him, he gave Mum a cuddle.

21 February 2008 at 17:27  
Blogger Rupe said...

Darling Gildy, We will all think about you and wish you a recovery from all this....I wish I lived nearer. You have a great spirit, and you will get thru'this.
Sending you all my love, cuddles and kisses, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

21 February 2008 at 18:39  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

It all helps Rupe ;-)

I've left a message on your answerphone :-)

And as I always say...Take Care of You xxxx

He said it jokingly but my Dr said as best as he could to Mum(that I will out live her)so he must be pretty sure that all will be well.

Mum always says that she is happy that I have my interests and my friends such as yourself.

21 February 2008 at 19:21  
Blogger Curmy said...

Gildy, I'm sure with your positive attitude, your excellent consultant and all the good vibes from us that you will get through your treatment, and your kidneys will improve.
I've been thinking about you a lot.
(Hugs)

21 February 2008 at 21:02  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Thanks Curmy,
the pills may have side effects but the only one's that have a leaflet enclosed is the steroids. And as good as they are one side effect that is off putting is how they can affect eyes but so far considering how long I was on them, I don't believe I suffered the side effects mentioned the last time.

So shouldn't this time but you start to put all kinds to everything and wonder if they caused the floaters or they'd have happened anyhow.

They say tell your Dr immediately if this or that happens by the time it does its maybe too late.

It's weighing up success against possible a not so good situation.

I may not be on them as long this time but of course you have to come off them gradually.

Now, you're not going to hear me going on and on about this(honest)

I'll wait and see how things are on March 6th.

ooxxoo

21 February 2008 at 21:50  
Blogger Span Ows said...

I presume it's OK taking all those pills?

Anyway, seeing as how you're seeing a time lord no doubt he'll see you right.

As has been said, you're taking it in the right spirit (that doesn't mean have your pills with whisky!)

22 February 2008 at 21:28  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Hi Span,
I know...I should be rattling. I have so much support and people thinking of me such as you(I don't have many relatives)It's practically Mum and myself.

The Whisky sounds a good idea. That new tablet where you have to sit for half and hour is the strangest of the lot.

That starts tomorrow.

That new Dr really knew his stuff(Like the Who joke)

Is it important and should I mention that he was Asian(British or otherwise)He knew his stuff and explained everything.

He was understanding, he didn't rush and he came and sat in front of me(not behind a big desk)and looked me in the face.

And gave Mum some reassuring glances, he had what you call a bedside manner.

I had as much faith in his care as anyone and I know things go wrong on the NHS but I cannot fault how I have been cared for over the last ten years.

Thanks for cheering me up :-)

23 February 2008 at 00:30  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My very best wishes, Gildy.

Augustus

24 February 2008 at 15:19  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Welcome my friend...good to see you are around, I still think of you.

Sorry to hear about your recent sad news...

Hope all is well soon.

Gildy

24 February 2008 at 17:17  

Post a Comment

<< Home