My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Monday, February 25, 2008

Four Days In...

I'm amazed considering how careful I am to follow how I take my medication(I have been taking two water tablets and I should only have been taking One and I've been doing so for over a month)but the direction leaflet does allow for more to be taken though you should go by your Consultant's instructions so I am back on one today to see what happens.

Yesterday, the two made no difference whatsoever as to how much urine I passed and surprisingly looking at my legs at 9pm yesterday I found my ankles had really swollen...a lot. I spent most of the night trying to prop my legs up to drain the water off.

They have improved and I did manage to "wee" some of that off this morning even without the medication(Am I writing this?) and then continued after the one I have to take officially but by this afternoon, the ankles are up again.

Now, I have to try and restrict my liquid intake enough to avoid this happening but drink enough not to be thirsty and become dehydrated.

Or maybe I can find a time in the day that the one tablet works best.

I also believe I am better sipping small amounts of liquid or eating fruit/ sucking on ice so liquid is taken in smaller amounts but of course I need to get the tablets down and that does require a reasonable amount of liquid intake.

But of course I am concerned about the high cholesterol reading of 11. That is separate issue but no one is seemingly bothered about that for now. Yet the radio today is saying that's a Liver matter and that high readings are not good for the heart or arteries so is this something else to worry over and can it be treated whilst everything else is happening or do I wait? They are tieing Diabetes into this too.

I am a stone heavier since starting treatment(so I have to guage if this is related to the drugs or water)but they say water retention happens fast, food related weight gain is slow. I am likely to blame the drugs for now.


I must be in a bad way?



More questions to ask. Or could the drugs I'm on help that? I don't fancy a heart attack or my arteries becoming blocked.

I will wait and see the results of my next blood test and appointment at the Hospital on March 6th and be ready with more questions.

Tomorrow I shall buy a pack of larger underpants and a larger pair of trousers...just in case.

Oh and BTW here comes the preaching bit(again)even if you feel ok...go and have a medical check up now and again. You don't have to be a hypocondriac and believe that you have every illness going but I do believe in having a blood test, blood pressure reading, urine tested, what I call simple tests and screenings as some illness show little if any signs until it's too late.

Better to be picked up sooner so the condition is stablised or reversed if possible. Remember high blood pressure alone if untreated can cause strokes and kidney damage. But you'd probably have no idea it was happening.

No longer is it a case of going to see the Dr only when you think you are ill.

I remember an old joke by Morecambe and Wise a comic team popular in the UK for many years where one of them goes to see a Dr in a comedy sketch and the opening line was "Ahh, Mr Morecambe...I haven't seen you for awhile" and he replies..."I know...I've been ill"


(Of course...it might have been Tommy Cooper who said this...I'm certain it's one or the other)

4 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

hehehe...giggling re that M&W joke.

Thought you were taking the piss...boom boom!

Also read "buy a pack of lager" instead of "larger" etc

Sounds like you're OK...watch out or they'll be giving anti-obese pills soon...

Re the preaching, if that's what it takes then who cares...I agree with you and re the Asian doctor, shouldn't make any difference and shouldn't be said but we still do...

26 February 2008 at 12:26  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I have edited my posts loads of times(with spell checker and still get it wrong) :-)

No. it probably shouldn't make any difference. Firstly, he is a Dr.

Dare I say maybe even more so than the Consultant and I've usually found this to be the case. He was so informative.

There are so many stories of any Dr/Consulatant sometimes being standoffish and actually not putting patients at ease(but that could be anecdotal)and I've been lucky.

Of course, you wonder if he's here for good or training and learning.

Or I like to believe our attitude helps create this good relationship. I would say that of anyone. During the last ten years I have only ever been upset by one Dr when I was at my worst I suspect he was from overseas(was proabably learning and required work on his bedside manner)It is not a racial slant as anyone can be "Nasty" but he was from the African continent and I do not hold this as being the norm. I go by personality.

It may be a new way that the NHS is responding to patients but even at my Dr's surgery rarely do I get called by my surname. It's usually on first name terms.

I don't want the authorities to believe that if things improve they can hassle me with forms again as its a chronic condition that needs monitoring and can return at any time and it's a long road ahead again(10 years so far)It hasn't gone yet but today either myself or the treatment may be making things different in some way)

But as one drug can take upto 6 weeks and another cannot be stopped for many years or months to kick in it's early days.

Often decisions are made by people who are not experts or because some politician brings in some new idea and the vulnerable get caught up with everyone else.

26 February 2008 at 12:56  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

May have to be in touch with the Dr's again by tomorrow...I had to go out and upon my return...swollen ankles again(big time)but my swollen nether region has happened again...oh dear.

Maybe, extra water tablets will be required or something else.

If it sorts itself out as before, fine otherwise more worry.

Then again, maybe it's a course I have to go through to become improved again.

I'm torn as to whether I wait and see what happens or contact someone like...now!

Emergency...I don't know.

26 February 2008 at 19:08  
Blogger Rupe said...

Oh God Gildy, I can only tell you that I am very worried about you and I wish I could give you a big cuddle. Please keep us informed all the time, x x xx

26 February 2008 at 22:28  

Post a Comment

<< Home