My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Even If I Had Wanted To Post Here...I Couldn't...

A few people know that my pc has been down for approx a week. I went for my regular hospital check up(so far no call back so I assume the tests went well)but upon my return I turned on my computer and...well, I didn't actually. It refused to power up. I tried various fuses and pressing in of the button on the computer case...nothing. I tried for a number of days afterwards but why would it start again, if it had failed me for hours? I called in my repairman who called yesterday with powerpack ready to replace it and...he walked in pressed the button on the pc and...it all started up again. Go figure. Made me look stupid.

I thought I'd get him to fix up my laptop so if this happens again I can fall back and use it so I am not off line for days...and so I can perhaps e-mail downstairs without coming upstairs to the bedroom all the time.

I had, over the weekend(attempted to use the laptop)but it would not connect and I had bought it a couple of years ago but for various reasons(not used it)it would not connect and now it appears the battery is not charging. I was told that replacing batteries is expensive and if replaced we may then find its a fault somewhere else. The telephone modem inside having had him try to connect yesterday also seems faulty. So as it's out of guarantee and laptops are very expensive to repair(it's dead money)I have decided to write it off. It cost far too much but laptops are so cheap to buy these days if I decide to get another, I'll start with a new model. No point repairing an old model, the repair will probably cost money that could go into a new upto date one.

Besides the new Vista operating system is out now and looking at the price of it seperately, I may as well have a pc that has that installed rather than buying a laptop and then purchasing it too. That £180 or whatever it costs may as well be saved and go towards the actual pc.
I may go ahead and get a new desktop pc...my repairman does and can build computers to specification but he now says tell me what you want and I'll maintain the computer for you and buy one that has the capability to do what you wish and I'll add extra's in where they cannot be found so maybe that's the way forward.

All this has made me think of finally going Broadband like many I know on here have but which company to go with. I worry that I cannot in the future afford to run my internet connection(thinking of how financial it appears many of us in the UK will find our State pensions not able to give us a basic decent standards of living)and how many jobs(if you are working offer low pay(and outgoing expenditure continues to rise for basic utilities such as rent, electric, gas and so on)

So its finding the right ISP and who to go with watching both service quality against price. Just when you think that you have made a correct choice, you hear a horror story and the situation in the UK is different to the USA or mainland Europe.
So we'll just have to see how things go. I have had some information from friends online which has helped somewhat and I am trying to compare services using messageboards and comparison sites. In the end it may prove better to stay with the company you know, if you have been reasonably happy.

5 Comments:

Blogger Linda Mason said...

Glad you're back with the land of the living, Gildy.

When we moved here 6 years ago, it was BT or Blueyonder for broadband. We chose Blueyonder, now Virgin and can honestly say, we've never had a moments bother with them. Every time Mr Mags calls them to re-negotiate our rate or service, they always play ball.

Everyone has their own recommedations but I honestly wouldn't say anything if I didn't think they give good service and a decent deal.

We changed our telephone 12 months ago to Vonage for which you have to have a broadband connection and pay £6.99 a month for free calls to all landlines, 24/7, free calls to the USA, Australia, Canada, Greece, Spain, plus more (you chose your own set of countries) plus very cheap calls to all other numbers including mobiles. You get a real American service with them. We've had a few problems but they have always been dealt with immediately and they always follow up 24 hours later with a 'how's your service now Maarrm' type call. Always brings a smile to my face.

24 May 2007 at 22:23  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Sometimes it's best to shop around Gildy, even if it menas NOT staying with the 'devil you know'.

All I can say is that aol were shite for my ex and the kiddiewinks and the change to BT hasn't been much better...having said that plenty of people say they're fine..."you pays ya money...

Have you tried writing to your mP re affording it and pensions etc...you may be able to wangle some sort of freebie.

25 May 2007 at 18:16  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back, Gildy!

We have broadband and when we got it there wasn't a choice (C&W). Think there might be now but not sure.

I'd def. go for broadband if you can. Previously we were on AOL dial up but all the special offers (£15.99 a month) etc didn't apply to Channel Island residents.

We now have wireless broadband because the brats have their own laptops.

I don't pretend to understand any of it though...;-)

25 May 2007 at 23:22  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Span,
Who knows...It's unlikely though, I suspect in time that would see me trying to get anhour here and there on a computer in a library.

I'll try and put a little aside to cover a few years of broadband costs and for repairs or to get a new computer again sometime and keep my interest going for as long as I can.

As to who to go with, that will take some serious thought.

Sarnia,
I think the main exchange is in our town so I couldn't be nearer to it, if it's in Darlington that's still very close so I'm probably in a good location.

Mags, I like ths sound of what you mention especially the phone. The last few bills have been high(for us)and not because of long distance calls or phoning abroad. Mum phones her sister a lot(only on the town)and often phones when its most expensive such as mornings and afternoons(also she could talk longer for less cost but she often calls for minutes at a time)

So any saving is welcome...although I'm not paying the bill and my internet is seperate. I've heard much about Skype and that might work for me(as I have few, if any people to phone)

The phone companies worry about loss of revenue but if it wasn't for line rental, they would not making anything out of me.

27 May 2007 at 00:31  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Gildy ...Skype I know very well...no problems AT ALL and FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I use it with several far-flung customers and I am very, very impressed: they make their money from selling add-ons (earphones, headsets, bits and bobs...and also 'special' features)...BUT their basic is A1, free, reliable...and I just don't know how it's allowed! :-) ...obviously you need some sort of connection to download their stuff!!

27 May 2007 at 01:01  

Post a Comment

<< Home