My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

It's All Sh** To Me

A bizarre story caught my attention in passing yesterday. I have seen or heard very little of the news but in passing BBC Radio 5 mentioned and poo pooed a story instigated by the American singer/songwriter Sheryl Crowe. Now, copy that is sent out via news agencies especially if it's a press release will look for a sensational angle and unless you hear it word for word it can come across slightly different to intended.

She is proposing that people should use one square of toilet paper per visit. Yes, that's what I heard. It was greeted with laughter and many jokes from presenters and listeners alike. Why is she saying this? It's another idea to help the environment and I guess in turn Global Warming.
I have heard something like this before and perhaps had it been put across differently, it might be less ridiculed. Modern sewage systems engineers have said that too much paper is used and in some circumstances the system can become blocked. And it could possibly come down to the type used. By that I suppose they mean in reality they'd prefer that thin tracing paper type stuff that also claims to be medicated but hey who can blame many of us for having a little bit of luxury when visiting one of our most personal acts?

In reality(I've never thought of this before)and cannot believe I'm writing this...I suspect Men only use paper for one function. So use less in general, Women probably use paper for both. But in general expecting one square to be used is extreme. I don't think any further detail needs to be thought about and there are some conditions brought on by lifestyle or a medical condition where quite a few squares will be required. And we haven't talked of wipes yet.

Having found an article on the net, it says that she proposes even washing out the used square and re-using it!

Well, at least she has got people talking and I guess that was the plan all along. I just hope this is not the start of a series of tips from celebrities leading towards the Global Warming concerts being held later this year telling the rest of us what we have to do.

A Link to the story

BBC's Take On The Story

Update:A Great Take On This Story From Straightshooters Blog as I never got around to investigating Laurie David and her opinions and views at the time of writing this blog entry. In fact I missed making reference to her as in the UK news media, as most of it concentrated on Crowe's comments, I suspect because David is reasonably unknown over here.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi

One square? Just one square, I reckon she is being rather tight-fisted rather than being 'environmentally friendly'.

L x

ps I can hardly type problems with hands and joints so keeping it short.

25 April 2007 at 07:11  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I think I'm being over generous in my appraisal of her intentions too. In reality she probably believes what she says. I might've understood her making a point had it been more about the problems of disposal diapers/nappies and the problems they cause on landfill sites but to start on about this as a subject.

I wonder if she is doing what she's asking of others?

I'm afraid "Pop" and "Movie" stars have always passed their views and opinions and I guess it's their right but many do so without really understanding or working things out.
(Hope you start to feel better...it's worth been checked out...so it can be discountered as nothing and if it is, being put right before it could be something to worry over)
There are many sites on the net that can be trusted but the following link may prove useful for you and others to both ask questions and read up on health matters...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbhealth/

25 April 2007 at 12:08  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you.

This is the third so I hope to God there is not a fourth.

Lx

25 April 2007 at 21:46  
Blogger Curmy said...

Sounds like a good way of making yourself really ill !

25 April 2007 at 22:36  
Blogger Span Ows said...

hehehe...let's try to give her some credit...let's think...she obviously uses very tough and thick (but at the same time botty soft) loo roll... so maybe this is a way to offset what we can recycle, they recycle all our crap anyway so I guess the less paper and bits & bobs there are the easier it is to recycle and the better the recycled 'product' will be...you you I'm trying my best to try to figure out what the F*%$ she's on about! ;-)

26 April 2007 at 21:11  
Blogger PAW said...

It's worth noting that one of the popular brands - Charmin - makes a point of saying in its adverts that you don't need as much of it as you do in other brands. So perhaps she's thinking of something like that [imagine a feather duvet size and thickness] rather than the greaseproof paper [Izal?] brands.

28 April 2007 at 00:53  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I like my feather duster paper :-)
But seriously...quite often whatever it is the least I can use is two squares. Not that I ever can say that I sit there and actually count how much I am goibg to use.

How personal this is...a bit too much information perhaps :-)

28 April 2007 at 11:55  

Post a Comment

<< Home