My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Sunday, April 29, 2007

For My Sins...

I watched Vernon Kaye's Game Show Marathon on ITV 1 last evening where they recreated the classic game show The Golden Shot and once again...Global Warming even managed to get into an entertainment programme.

As one of the prizes being given away was some garden furniture(chairs and table)and they worked a reference into the spiel the announcer was reading about the product to include a reference to it being "carbon friendly" Oh, Pleeeze!

This on a programme that was also giving away cars and other electrical goods and a two week holiday to Hong Kong. And how much power does the tv studio use that is making the programme?

This is how crazy the situation is getting.

And whatever is won on the programme each week, they deliver the same to a viewer who has phoned in and answered the silliest easiest question possible and if chosen a massive truck arrives outside the home of that caller. Everyone that is succcessful is happy with it's contents which can be two cars, washing machines, televisions and so on. I have yet to see anyone refuse their prizes because it will harm the planet and the fact they are entering the competition in the first place shows that most want to enjoy their lives and be comfortably well off. And though it's superficial and we know what is of real value, who if offered lots of brand new items to make your life easy would turn down the chance?

It's just getting silly...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Serves you right for watching this total excuse for a programme. Sorry G, I stopped watching these programmes a long time ago, dumbed down television imo, I know other people like this type of programme, but not me.

As for the questions they ask for 'viewers' to phone in so ridiculously easy so that they have loads of people phoning it they make the ££££s and the viewer has a large phone bill, there is only one winner here.

Sorry for ranting on but it does get my craw up.

As for GW these TV companies couldn't give one hoot about GW. I am part of the schools eco group (I am a warrior!! :-D) and I have come up with some ideas about green issues (maily bio diversity), and guess what they are being taken on board, I am now getting a compost heap for the wildlife garden etc(I suggested) instead of shop bought compost (and its plastic packaging).

I'm going away to have another rant.

Take care
Lxxx

29 April 2007 at 16:38  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Rant away anonymous...but you're right (whoever you are!!)

Gildy...no game shows...no soap operas...and I promise your life will improve immediately (even if it's OK anyway...!!!...backtracks to avoid offence) Most TV is SHITE and gameshows + soap operas + reality TV etc (i.e. 80% of output) are 100% CRAP!!!!!!!!!!

In fact the News is crap too and most sport is ruined by inept and pathetic "we must say something even if it's twaddle" commentary...that leaves the odd film to enjoy but as I like the cinema I don't even watch films on TV....that's MY rant over too ;-)

30 April 2007 at 00:50  
Blogger Paul said...

Gildy - my Mum worked for Anne Aston in the 1990's. Mum had worked for Abbey Life but they have compulsory retirement at 60 and she didn't want to sit at home while her previously active brain atrophied. She got a job in an antique shop and her boss was the second Golden Shot girl.

I agree with Span about TV by the way.

3 May 2007 at 14:43  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

There was something innocent about the game shows back then and sadly, I prefer many of them. So much tv washes over me or I find myself channel hopping. I know there is good stuff out there but finding it and also being committed enough to watch it, I do find difficult.

Interesting tale about Anne Aston(One of those where are they now moments)and to find out what they did when they were no longer in broadcasting.

I did hear that her difficulty with adding up and playing a little dumb was put on(now there's a surprise)

4 May 2007 at 17:56  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I shall have to take it all back what I said (not likely) but I'll be in Eurovision mode later on, the naffest tv you can get but I just love it, I think TW and his 'witty' comments does it for me, not the actual singing stuff, oh no that's pure murder, as for Britain's entry well that is the pits but there are people out there that like it (no taste in music whatsoever).
:-D

Take care
L xxx

I will definitely stay anon for this ;-)

5 May 2007 at 00:32  

Post a Comment

<< Home