My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, May 03, 2007

BBC Poaches Virgin's Cridland

So says The Guardian

And you may see that James has occasionally popped in with his views and he has a very good Blog/Website(link on the Left hand side)

So congratulations on your new post...hope you bring some exciting ideas to BBC Radio and help it keep its standards high and quality. And whilst taking it forward in this modern digital age, also take a look at some of it's output where some of us have felt it has neglected say those over the age of 35 years.

2 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Oh dear Gildy...I totally misread the title of your post! I won't tell you what I thought it was...



(whistle)

Don't know him btw

3 May 2007 at 21:59  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Hi Span,
You are forgiven for your error ;-)Obviously, mentioning a Virgin was what caused the confusion.
James has popped over here a few times when I have talked of digital radio.

I have no objections that all media has to appeal and get listeners and viewers from wherever they can and...especially with commercial radio it has to make a profit.

However, though I still think BBC Radio does much that makes it worth lsitening and I still prefer it in many ways...I have become critical where I think it is failing(and I appreciate that makes my views personal)

And I do think it is letting down the older listener on the music front. I know people do not necessairly want Victor Sylvester but equally there has to be room for some of the older material that is neglected which means that a large swathe of material is unknown to people and they do not realise that much of today's music was born out of what went before and that many of today's artists grew up with a much wider knowledge of music.

3 May 2007 at 22:48  

Post a Comment

<< Home