My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Sunday, April 29, 2007

They're Coming To Get Us...

The following story as published in the Daily Express today has surfaced so often and has not been denied I have to think that there is some truth in it. For some months now I have come across a number of stories telling of trials on how property is to be revalued for the sake of increasing the community charges the population of the UK will pay annually.

As I understand the population of N.Ireland have already had their homes revalued and therefore most, if not all property, has moved up at least one band and I think something similar has happened in Wales in 2003. New powers have been talked of allowing officials to enter a property and take photographs(you cannot refuse entry as you will be fined)

(I suspect the timing is to affect the elections that are due to take place in a few days time)but if true I hope it does affect the outcome, the only problem is that for most of the UK the elections are only local(not national)therefore it won't stop the following happening because a National Election is a couple of years away.

If you look after your property and care for the environment you are improving the world. Hopefully the community has a sense of pride. And yet by making your neighbourhood desirable and improving your property, the council tax will increase.

And now from October it appears that every property in England that has a garden will also see their Community charge increase still further. Every garden, patio and outbuilding will be submitted to the appropriate authority upon the sale of any property and eventually when the legislation is passed they will include properties that are not up for sale.

We're being told to be more green and care for our environment, all I can see this doing is making people think twice about having a garden and some may because of economic reasons decide to concrete the whole thing over. It reminds me of the taxes we have had centuries ago(mentioned in a previous blog entry)such as Window Tax(where depending on how many windows you had in your property you were taxed for allowing natural light into your home. So people started to build homes with less windows or started to block the windows to avoid paying the tax.

It's said that the revaluation of all properties will not happen for at least two years but if its coming, who cares when it is? The only good thing might be if it takes that long, the idea can be knocked on the head. I don't get out much so one of my basic pleasures is to look out on the garden and feed the birds and wildlife that visits. The only thing in my favour is that I have not added lots of features to it and its basically a lawn with trees, shrubs and a few flowers. Our new neighbours might feel the effect seeing they have added a conservatory, a patio and some kind of area that could be called an amenity and a garden shed. I hope it doesn't affect our revaluation.

Oh, to be in England's Green And Pleasant Land...

Garden Tax

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home