My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Confession Time...

There are millions of bloggers out there...who really are doing something special.

Its been said that the art of conversation is dead but is it? Looking around the internet I see so much thoughtful and insightful writing.

Did we really come home in the evening and have long insightful conversations. How many of us are fortunate to have friends and family where we ever really sit down and talk? How many of us have something really unusual happening that you would get into a really deep discussion with your partner? Of course it's too easy to take people for granted and hopefully I never will or realise in enough time to see that it's happening and do something about it.

I suspect the truth is that talking still happens but less so because we live in a "now" kind of world. Everything is so immediate and in your face.

I've never intentionally hurt anyone, or knowingly done so. I have helped too many people and had people come to me for help whether actually helping with a specific problem or sometimes talking has sometimes been enough, the old adage of "Being There"

To anyone that I may've let down...I'm sorry. I am indulging myself as having an alter ego on screen who will know? Only me.

I would hope that if I have failed, it was for the best reasons or intent. Misunderstandings do happen. Sometimes we meet people at the wrong time.

I mentioned blogs at the start of this entry because to be honest, I simply keep finding great one's I'd love to read regularly but it cannot be done. There are not enough hours in the day.

However, Blogspot does pick out blogs that they feel are exceptional and I took at look at the one that has been picked out as the 1,000th blog of note.

French Toast Girl Try it, it has some beautiful illustrations and a lot of work put into it.

And in one entry there is the mention of a quote that has been found in an old magazine. Its short and simple. I think it is appropriate for those of us who are being hard on ourselves for whatever reason. And it tied in with my thoughts on this entry. If you are beating yourself up or putting yourself down. Or regret something you did or did not do. I don't think you can add anything to it. It says it all.

Be Gentle With Yourself - Max Erhmann

The more I think about this, I do think it belongs to a much larger piece of work known as Desiderata which may be worth a look but that's a pretty good one liner as it stands.

7 Comments:

Blogger Catherine said...

You are so right about there being so many great blogs and so little time. It was nice to stumble on yours.

Thanks for the quote. I need it today.

20 April 2007 at 12:18  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Thank you Marianne, for popping in and leaving a comment. If it helped I am happy.

20 April 2007 at 15:02  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi
Well, you probably are a genuinely nice man maybe its the others that have taken you the wrong way for some reason or other. I also guess it was probably the wrong time for us too, with so much happening to me (in more ways than I realised plus although not quite reaching my old self again I am getting there) but you have helped me and for that I would like to thank you.

Maybe our paths will cross again who knows.

Take care and look after yourself.
Mexxx


As for not enough time in the day, tell me about it although I am starting to read a lot more now since I am this way.

20 April 2007 at 17:37  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

If anyone can come through this, you can. It won't be easy but the important thing is not to look too far ahead. Live for now, not next year, next month, the next day or even the next hour. Take a step at a time.

There is one poem that is mentioned quite a bit in this household and I'm not saying that it's easy to follow and with what life sometimes throws it is easy to dismiss it's sentiment. I have no idea who wrote it. Whether its a well known piece or written by an unknown person.

Don't dwell upon the past,
Or worry what might be,
The present moment is the one to live and be,
What's done cannot be altered,
The future we don't know,
So make the most of every day,
In which to live and grow.

21 April 2007 at 00:08  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a great faith in me which at this moment I do not have. I have been extremely busy trying to keep myself thinking too much but I have also been very tired and sleeping during the day (unheard of for me) but I shall ponder over your words and try but it is hard and I do have support (although he can get a bit grumpy with me also). But I know now that you are still talking and that helps.

Thanking you again, and take care
Me xxx

21 April 2007 at 00:19  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Hi Gildy, no need for this 'confession': I think many people do have problems conversing normally and others don't get much chance - however, some people don't stop talking with others!!!

I used to spend a lot of time floating round (rather than surf??!) popping in to various blogs; there are of course far too many to read all or even remember where they are if you feel like returning later, but as you say, some people spend a lot of time and write a lot of good stuff...of course there's a lot of dross too but that is to be expected and welcomed because, as with all things, without the bad there can be no good.

'Speak' to you soon

S.O.

21 April 2007 at 21:35  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Thanks for that and good wishes are sent your way too.

I bet there is quite a bit to get caught up on.

G

22 April 2007 at 00:10  

Post a Comment

<< Home