My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Monday, July 22, 2013

A Taste Of Teesdale...


I awoke yesterday expecting to arrive at a food event later than I wanted to because being dependent on a Sunday bus service they start later any how but a quick look at an official heavily promoted website I could get there sooner. I made it Darllington before10am(just)there were two services leaving at 10.01am and the other 10.08am. Wrong! One service does not run on a Sunday and the other leaves at 10.48. So I had to hang around for almost an hour. That had been a bus at 9.48am but no way I could connect to it.

The route it took to Staindrop meant the nearest I could get to Raby Castle involved a fairly long walk(even if you are fit)and if you have mobility problems like me, more problems than I realised it would. I felt like giving up a number of times. But if I had that was defeat and I still had a trek getting back to where  I had started.

Going home I arrived at the bus stop with 5 seconds to spare otherwise it was an hour to wait for the next one.
 
The event was well attended with many people attending all day. The choice of food/drink and craft stalls were a lovely and the only downside was a lack of money and knowing that what I did buy I would have to drag home in a shopping trolley by bus. I would be lost without it though.

If time had allowed I would have got better images of the Deer but time was against me. I took a couple of short video's too. Also some images of the exterior of the castle.
 
I have posted a small selection below...
 
 
 
 


 
 
I treated myself to some artisan bread.A bit expensive but worth it and once again it has made me want to have another go at doing my own. The two loaves on the left are courtesy of the Moody Baker who appear at many events in the area but they also have some shops too, the loaf on the left is from a local baker 7 miles away and on the right Sue's Bread who has built up a clientele that order from her and collect. It would not work for me sadly. But I will buy again if our paths cross and they may as Sue has a stall at Barnard Castle once a month.
 
 
 
 
It seemed a very popular event and was well supported. There was a lovely selection of stall holders and my friend was there too. I sat in the gardens and ate a beautiful chocolate Brownie and came home with some home made ginger beer both made by The Gingerbread Mam. Can't show the Brownie all the evidence has gone.



Some of the beer was a thank you for kindnesses recently shown to me, one bottle has already found a new home.

The weather was hot and humid even if the sun was missing and to be honest it was probably better that the sun was not blazing but as I came home it was starting to show its face.

It was easier coming home than going. Many of the bus services in my part of the county stop by 6pm on a Sunday so you are limited what you can do anyhow.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home