My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Friday, January 04, 2013

Another Passing...Well, Two Actually...

Charles Chilton and Daphne Oxenford.

Who?

Well in the golden days of British Radio he was a producer at the BBC but much more...

After what for many in a similar situation would have been a very difficult time he managed to enter the BBC working in the gramophone library and worked his way up through the ranks.

He produced and wrote programmes with and for many of the BBC's most well known voices.

He wrote many dramas that thrilled many a young boy(and probably his dad)especially his series' of space stories "Journey Into Space!"

In fact only a few years ago he was responsible or involved some new productions that took the story a bit further.

He was ninety five.

Charles Chilton

Another of British radio's greats Daphne Oxenford, I guess is best known to me for two things...her opening line to "Listen With Mother" which always began with the opening dialogue of "Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin." But I honestly cannot remember if I listened as a child. To be honest I am surprised when reading of the radio programme that it was still on air upto 1971. It could be that it seems so familiar to me because it has been mentioned so often over the years. Click on the link and at the end of the article you can hear Daphne say the immortal lines herself.

The other was Daphne's appearences in the radio comedy series "Listen To Les" with comedian Les Dawson playing a variety of characters including a singing duo and part of a strange family who were very depressed but had more than a passing resemblance to the Addams Family.

Though a few weeks ago I was watching a popular ITV sitcom from the 1970's "Man About The House"(In the States they made their own version "Three's Company")and she appeared occasionally as the Mother of one of the main characters.

She was Ninety Three.

Daphne Oxenford

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home