My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Nothing To Go Out For...

It's dull and looks like rain. How do I feel? Unsure. But I still think I'm progressing and doing well...

I can't be bothered to change stations on the radio(there's not much to switch to)Saturday afternoons are not the best of the week.Of course that's just my opinion.

What has been on Radio 4 this afternoon is a play. It's called "Betrayal" it is written by a playwright described as acclaimed and he always seems to be talked of in hushed tones. Held in reverence. Harold Pinter. I'm sorry I don't get it! It's not the first of his plays I have listened to and felt the same.

I wonder if people really do like his plays or it's a case of they feel that they have to say that. That if they don't they feel as though others will think there is something wrong with them. They are not one of the "Gang"

Or have I heard the wrong ones so far? To some extent because many awards have been  heaped on him, we are supposed to see him as special but awards are given like confetti these days so their worth is much diluted.

I'll say it..it was a load of pretentious twaddle. Of course my opinion is just that...No greater or less than anyone else.

Now to prove the point...

I do like classical music and can listen to some complete works but don't listen as often as I probably should.

The BBC Proms season started yesterday. I'll be honest for me it's a bit heavy going but I will be tuning in for some of the concerts but the ones I am interested in are quirky or could be called not true to the overall concept of the festival.

Last year(I think)John Wilson conducted and arranged a concert of music featured in the Hollywood musicals of the 40's and 50's but what made this special was that most of the scores had been thrown out by the studios or had been lost and Wilson has tracked much of this music down and also transcribed by listening to the soundtracks. It was wonderful. Later in the season there is another concert lined up but tonight...something new.

The Proms is having a production of the musical "My Fair Lady" but instead of the songs and music being featured, it is also being produced as a complete production with well known actors. So that could be very interesting. I'll give it a listen...Smiley

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Gildy!

Haven't spoken to you in awhile, but I've been keeping my eye on you, no worries on that score! ;o)

Sounds like your in pretty good shape for the shape you're in, my friend. One foot in front of the other. :o)

I agree with your Pinter comment. He's not my cup of tea either. I've heard several of his plays, hoping I'll find one I'll like, but no go. Pretentious twaddle to me too. :o/

I did, however, love the Proms production of My Fair Lady. Had me singing for three hours!

Anyhoo, glad your still hangin' in there buddy!

Talk soon,
Jan

18 July 2012 at 12:05  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Hi Jan,
So you were listening too :-)

I like a bit of the Proms but sometimes it's a bit heavy for me. Unfamiliar and full works means a lot of commitment to listen to it all.

Naturally, some will say this was going the other way but I welcome these specials and John Wilson is amazing.

He has another concert soon will have to find out when...

22 July 2012 at 01:44  

Post a Comment

<< Home