My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Friday, July 13, 2012

More Spending Of Government Money Abroad...

Of course when criticising the spending of money classed as foreign aid I can feel bad doing so as some ideas are good and people are living in conditions that no one should(making our lives even when bad look like a doddle)but the latest announcement is that we(other countries are giving too)are to give £200Million for another scheme.

Now remember our country is struggling, many of our own are going to face great hardship in coming months and those mostly affected will be the low paid and those who need "State" help. Our Government is having to borrow money and pay incredible interest charges but still they manage to find money to give away.

How about that money being invested in this country and it's people. If it was and it was successful in improving the economy and helping the vulnerable, the sick and the disadvantaged, the quicker our situation improves and then we might be able to do even more to help those in other countries. Many of the schemes we give to are questionable because they interfere with cultural and religious interests of a country.

It has been said  that a lot more could be done by using soft persuasion such as using the BBC World Service radio and tv services pumping their broadcasts into countries but their budgets have been cut back.

Let us not forget the comfort and hope access to the World Service has given to some high profile public figures over the years, Aung San Suu Kyi, John McCarthey, Brian Keenan and Terry Waite...


These donations are given more for the kudos it gives and why are so many of the meetings about aid held in London. There are other countries that could host them I am sure.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty sure this olympics is going to be an absolute disaster and sooner we can say goodbye to it the better.

14 July 2012 at 12:39  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

They will put a positive spin on it I am sure Anon. But when all the information is collected we will hopefully find out.

I feel a bit awkward when I criticise the help we give in foreign aid because I do know many are living in great hardship but as I said, if we are so strapped for cash here and we are being told we have to tighten our belts and there is no money...

How do they find this extra money? Especially, when we are still borrowing money.

I don't know if the cost of the Olympics would make much of a dent in the problems people face abroad but it seems obscene what is being spent for two weeks of a few people running around a track or throwing a javelin etc...

And as I say why is the cost not being met totally by the organisers and sponsors?

I know statistics can be skewed to support different views but a new survey suggests that many do not feel the event will benefit the country as a whole now or in the future. And quite a few Londoners are unhappy with the disruption and cost.

They have or will be building some affordable housing it is said when the site is cleared but I am sure I read somewhere what we would call affordable it is not!

14 July 2012 at 16:33  

Post a Comment

<< Home