My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Fruit Juice Extractor...

It appears the best one on the market(with a two year guarantee)is made by the company Phillips but I will have to part with £100.

The big question is will I use it?

Though I believe its a good idea to have one as you can use up vegetables, fruit etc... that might normally be thrown out and you can make your own combinations of juices so have a larger variety that what is available in a supermarket. On the other hand buying individual ingredients is much more expensive so buying juices already packaged is still very appealing.

Of course you can add purchased juices or combine juices to suit your own tastes anyhow without using a juice extractor. I just want Mum to have the best of what's available to give her choice and variety and the best chance of controlling/beating the cancer, Improving her memory and make her as comfortable as possible. Well you have to try anything. If this does not prove how much I care for Mum what else can?

Drinking all this juice won't do me any harm either. Although having kidney problems I may have to watch out for water retention as much as anything so I may just have to drink less.

I am able to make smoothies and liquidise vegetables and fruit using a food processor/smoothie maker.

I have discovered two great juices which kind of make me wonder if its false economy having a juicer made by the Campbell Soup Company under the brand V8...there is a Fruit and Carrot tropical juice that contains Apple(38%)Carrot(27%)Orange(14%)Pear,Pineapple(8%)Passion Fruit(2.5%)White Grape and Banana.

The other is a vegetable juice containing Tomato(87%)Carrot, Celery, Beetroot, Parsley, Lettuce, Watercress And Spinach.

Perhaps there are others in the range but these are the only two I can find on my town.

Could I really do any better? Only in that I have some other combinations that are not on sale.

Update:I have found some great sites that show various combinations of fruit and vegetable juices that can be made up without a juicer and likewise some that need one. And it should not really work out much more expensive to make "Your Own" and you should be able to make them so you only have a glass as opposed to a full carton.

I've confused myself...I can get the juicer I was thinking of £30 cheaper online from Amazon but there is now a newer model which is double the price of the original so we're talking £200...There is also a site that sells only juicers and the like and they are supposed to make the decision easier but they've confused me further which juicer to buy but many on that site have 6-10 year warranties on the products they are selling so if I wait a few days nothing will spoil I guess.

The one I chose still seems popular but a few reviews suggest that some plastic parts break easily and it takes quite a bit of work to clean it when you are finished. I'll probably end up choosing it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Sounds great; my prize possession is a liquidiser, so not just "a juicer" because it can do all-sorts, including meat etc.

29 December 2011 at 18:33  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Well, I certainly use the liquidiser/smoothie Span...especially to reduce vegetable soups to a kind of liquid that Mum can manage. And I have taken to using a kind of mini chopper on vegetables so they are more like a mash.

You can do a kind of juice drink in the liquidiser but it is more thicker in consistancy because it tends to includes the skins of fruit and vegetables in the finished drink whereas the juicer will disgard that(mixed feelings on that)as some of the goodness can often be found in the peel/skins.

I think that I will go ahead and buy it.

After all, if I have any fruit and vegetables unlikely to be used in a meal rather than throw it out I'll make it into a drink.

29 December 2011 at 19:12  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd think carefully about it if I were you , someone bought me one & I discovered there were quite a few fruits I couldn't juice, & I also spent hours cleaning the juicer afterwards. Orange pith etc is very difficult to remove & you cut your fingers in the process. I've only used it once , it's now in the loft !

30 December 2011 at 12:43  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Yes, that is the worry...perhaps vegetables will be less of a problem when juicing...I have heard of people being told to remove orange peel before juicing oranges.

Some don't like bananas but that fruit is probably more suited to a smoothie...

I'll probably do more research before buying.

Its easy to mix bought fruit juices, its when you want to juice something that you cannot buy in the shops a juice extractor is worth considering.

You can also thin out thicker drinks like smoothies and juices by adding water or milk etc...

31 December 2011 at 13:37  

Post a Comment

<< Home