My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Eve And...

We've done as little as possible(other than my shopping trip)

We're just enjoying each other's company and thankful that we have this Christmas at least. We dare not look too far ahead and are living one day at a time.

Mum seems to have her appetite back and I am not having to persuade her to eat.

She's had scrambled egg this afternoon, soon we'll have some soup and later on probably a slice of ham, chips(French Fries)and Curly Kale with some gravy and just possibly something to follow.

We can have it late as we are planing a rare night of TV watching as there is more to interest tonight than Christmas Night. Its mostly documentaries or compilation shows of people we used to watch on TV so it is a big night of nostalgia.

In amongst that selection of programmes Mum found out that a radio show given by Michael Bublé was recorded by the BBC and is available to digital viewers via the red button so she wants to see that.

We had arranged to have no carers over the Christmas period into the New Year but because of the District Nurse and Social Worker causing un-necessary problems recently it looks as though we only have today, Christmas Day and Boxing Day and they return on Tuesday.

Did we miss them today? No...as we said when things get difficult we'll ask for help and be grateful but you know what? Mum was relaxed all morning, not watching the clock and waiting for the knock at the door, the truth is we thought someone was calling but as the time they usual arrive went by we relaxed even more.

I did what the carer would do(easy peasy)and its been an easy day and she's been really easy to look after. And it could be that way most of the time.

The District Nurse calls weekly and I have access to the Social worker so there is plenty of time for me to ask for help, there is every opportunity for the District Nurse to see how Mum's health is generally and how her tumour is doing and the option to bring in help. And see if any abuse was going on...I am unsure why they seem so interested in us. And I have seen cases where many people are looking after and being allowed to keep their loved ones in their homes and they don't hsve social or carers involved and you could ask why they are being neglected.

It is baffling quite a few people who know us. We have always been so well respected and liked even if I say that myself. If I don't get things sorted whilst Mum is alive I'll certainly have plenty to say when I am on my own. I have lost any respect or trust in the District Nurse and the Social Worker assigned to us. Be interesting to see if they can get that back.

I also appreciate that there are many decent and caring people in these professions who do a grand job. That's a pity because I only say what I do because of my experience of using the service as I have seen it that makes me seem hostile to some. I wasn't when we started.

Unfortunately, if I live long enough but due to health reasons I have to use the service or they put me in a home as I am alone, I haven't much to look forward to as I have no one to care for me the way I am looking after Mum.

Please God I'd rather be dead than have to end up in a home or have these people interfering if they behave like this lot.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think there may be something to what you've said earlier. You are a man, taking care of his mother, with an illness in a delicate area.

At best they're being over-vigilant at worst they're incompetent and in the wrong profession.

I know exactly what you mean. When we were taking care of my Mom, we had a carer that came in to do dressings. She was an absolute doll and my mother loved her. Most of the folks that came in to look in on her were fine, compassionate people. But we had one who said that my mother was living in filth, which couldn't have been further from the truth.

They sent out the "big guns" to do an assessment (at least they told us who they were) and they couldn't see a problem one with the house, the cleanliness or the care she was receiving.

Problem solved.

I don't know if you've gotten ahold of a misdirected zealot or an idiot, but sounds like you certainly need some back-up from somewhere.

Hope it gets better soon, and I'm so happy you had a nice Christmas. :)

Jan

6 January 2012 at 02:31  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

That sounds very close to what we've endured...

And yet most have said(who know what has happened)even others who call from the same service, someone has been over the top.

On both counts but once they set the ball rolling it has to be investigated but the difference here is that people are calling on a regular baises so if anything was wrong, it would've been picked up.

Even the chats between everyone would eventually let slip something if it was untoward.

Considering the situation Mum is in...she's happy and content.

6 January 2012 at 08:05  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Someone I know has a son who lectures in nursing(he was orginally a nurse himself)and he received praise and awards for his standard of care from the profession and families of those he helped and when his Mother took ill he and his Father took his mother out of the local hospital around here deciding they could do it better at home.

And as she was terminally ill they knew time was limited.

They did such a good job they were actually criticised by the services for being too good and proabably for not doing it the same way that they would've done it.

When the professionals get involved they seem to stick to same template and are unable to adapt.

Of course there are genuine people out there but they are often having to work within rules. Our carer told Mum when her back was hurting one day "I cannot do anything because its not in the care plan!"

Probably afraid of being sued...whatever the reason, if Mum said that to me I would try and ease the problem with maybe a massage and some kind of pain relief cream.

6 January 2012 at 09:51  

Post a Comment

<< Home