My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

A Mixed Report?

The District Nurse did not seem so happy today with how things looked(I still think the tumour is smaller)but the skin surrounding it, is possibly redder but I think that is still the treatment causing that...and it will continue to improve...at the hospital they thought Mum having thinner skin, she might suffer most from what is like sunburn and so far other side effects have not materialised.

I still apply aqueous cream to the area that is red and barrier cream to the tumour area...I think Mum is cleaner and is easier to keep clean/washed since the treatment and the tumour has reduced in size.

We are changing pads regularly and keeping Mum dry. The DN thinks it could be burns from fecal matter passing by or some leakage but that has improved too. That's either because the tumour is smaller or the treatment has done something else to improve things. I say it should've been more of a problem before treatment/the diagnosis...when she was not being seen by anyone and we were dealing with something unknown.

I'm not saying that the sore skin could not be aggrevated and react if it came into contact with bodily fluids but isn't that why we are using various creams and keeping Mum clean with mild unpefumed soap.

You have to bow to the DN's knowledge and she has said how she's advised me to proceed(but I was doing all that she said anyhow)and saying that in her written weekly report makes it sound as though I haven't been doing so, even though I have...

Anyhow, instead of a weekly visit they are going to call twice next week so we'll just have to see what happens next...

I'll add and I think that Mum is correct, her back and arms appear to be putting on weight again so that's another positive to us...here's another...

I compared Mum's tumour size wise to being similar to the segment in a satsuma...tonight its nearer to being the size of a marrowfat pea...

5 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

You have food on the brain!

P.S. Word verification "pringle", best yet.

1 December 2011 at 17:40  
Blogger Span Ows said...

P.P.S. re other posts re red marks and sunburn type marks etc, remember that this is CHEMICAL therapy. We call it quimo to ease the nastiness.

1 December 2011 at 17:42  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

That's true Span...that's why I question the District Nurse's take on the cause and I told her it could be the treatment, surrounding areas are bound to be affected in some way...

They can be pedantic...Mum slid off the bed onto a big quilt I have there(just in case)she was unhurt except for a slight bruise on her hip, that was caused because I had not thought ahead(as I usually do)and she came into contact with a bed rest which has a metal frame.

It was put down in the DM's weekly report as a fall(Not strictly true)and...she managed to get the bruised hip wrong saying it was the left...it's the right one!

1 December 2011 at 18:18  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Sorry to hear that Gildy but happy that you seem to be coping so well - to be honest I really doubt I could do what you're doing.

1 December 2011 at 19:47  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Well, every day is precious and even without what Mum has and was diagnosed with we know our time is limited just on age alone.

Of course Mum may deteriorate and we'll need more help and I will be apptreciative of extra help and care offered...she may not and go naturally and/or quickly.

Its awful having to talk this way(but you cannot change things)it will be the same for all of us...we leave first or we see friends and family go before us.

Though in my case having no one it will be me alone...which means I may be sad or can say I won't have the pain of seeing more loved ones pass away.

Even I have had times where I disagree(and it takes a lot to make me feel that way)with what is written about Mum in records the Nurses write up. But because they leave it with us(as does the carer)I am able to read what is written.

Hopefully if Mum has no sudden unexpected reasons that we regret cancelling cover over Christmas and the New Year, we have actually taken a break from the carer coming in as we actually want a break and time for "Us".

They sent a sheet around asking if people were away or having visitors over Christmas that might affect cover and they admitted they'd like as many of their carers to have time with their familes over the festive period so we just thought that we feel the same.

And who knows whether this will be our final Christmas together(I hope not, of course)

That thought would've been in my mind even if this had not happened and I was always grateful for every extra one we managed to have together. Every day is precious and we are on borrowed time anyhow...

1 December 2011 at 21:13  

Post a Comment

<< Home